58 pattern sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterkm

Nov 24, 2004
BELFAST
I'm sure this has been thrashed out before but for the sake of a newcomer, can anyone give some feedback on the 58 pattern army sleeping bags. I'm thinking of getting a warm sleeping bag that'll take a bit of abuse but do it on the cheap.

Thanks
Peter

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I've been trying to get one for a while but the surplus place in plymouth only seems to stock "medium" size which are too short for me..?? anyone else found this?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
good bags - get new if you can and get long lengths. Oh and use with a bivi bag to protect from damp.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Gary said:
good bags - get new if you can and get long lengths. Oh and use with a bivi bag to protect from damp.

Quoted for truth.

Living in what is traditionally an army town, these things are all over the place. The local surplus shop sells them new for forty sobs, which is certainly not to be sneezed at.

I have one of these myself and it is certainly a great bag for the money (the built-in groundsheet is a stroke of genius), but I might invest in one that rolls up to a smaller size if I really feel the need. Also, after a thorough soaking I recently recieved in it, I found out that the down filled bag doesn't dry out nearly as slowly as I was led to believe it would.

I'd say go for it, myself; they're very warm and definitely hard-wearing. For the money I'd say there's no better.

peterkm

Nov 24, 2004
BELFAST
tomtom if you're still interested here's a link to Belfast Combat Gear . They're £29 inc postage. The owner's name is Will and he's a really decent guy. He's only a few left. The 58 Pattern bags are labelled "long". From base to shoulder cover they are 6ft, from base to top of hood cover (overall length ) they are 7ft.

leon-1

peterkm said:
I'm sure this has been thrashed out before but for the sake of a newcomer, can anyone give some feedback on the 58 pattern army sleeping bags. I'm thinking of getting a warm sleeping bag that'll take a bit of abuse but do it on the cheap.

Thanks
Peter

Peter, I have stated it many times before and will state it again, the 58 Pattern bag is the best value for money that you can get (@£30) as long as you get one in good condition, down bags traditionally pack down smaller than most synthetics and tend to loft very well providing a very good degree of warmth.

The only fault that I ever had with one of these bags was the zip which in my opinion was the only thing that lets it down, but you will not get another down bag for much less than £100 unless it is an old issue arctic bag also from 58 pattern era :wink:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive got one myself great bags,great value and bloody warm,too warm for summer use.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
They're great, if a tad bulky.

One proviso, either examine one before you buy it or agree a "refund if not delighted" policy with the vendor if buying by post. There's a lot of very poor ones out there. If damaged by water or humidity or ripped and repaired thay can lose a massive degree of their insulation, and might still look okay in a photo.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nice link peterkm
I live about 5 min's away from this guy so he could be a useful source and a lot handier than mail ordering all the time.
I see he has some 85 pattern combats ,the last ones i got mail order where a very strange size so it would be nice to try them on before buying :biggthump

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Rhapsody said:
The local surplus shop sells them new for forty sobs, which is certainly not to be sneezed at.
Do you have an address for this shop Rhapsody? Might check them out :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
what ever you do don't get it wet, i spent a very cold night in a shellscrape when mine got rained on during an army excersise as a desperate meassuer i got into my waterproofs then back into the bag which had no effect!

i always found them slightly small (i'm 5'11") make sure it is a good one some are in pretty poor shape! and double check the zip they are nasty as you cannot get out through the bottom like most sleeping bags.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Make sure you get the long version,iam 6ft and its just about comfy,but then again i like lotsa room as iam stretchy out sort a ******.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Rhapsody said:
Just did a google on them and they've actually got a website! Blimey.

http://www.dubora.com/

The address is at the top of that site; it's very near Aldershot train station, which is handy.
Cheers Rapsody :biggthump

Oh im 5`10 in height - any ideas as to which one to get, a medium or long?

Many thanks.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
SquirrelBoy said:
Cheers Rapsody :biggthump

Oh im 5`10 in height - any ideas as to which one to get, a medium or long?

Many thanks.

Go for a long Nigel - I'm only an inch taller and thats what I always used (given the choice.)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolmao:
whilst i was training in the army one of my fellow recruits was issued a gurka 58 issue bag which must only have been 5 ft long!
it looked like a kids sleeping bag, comming up as far as the middle of his chest :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE