231 Pound Alaska Halibut!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fisherman opts to keep massive, 231-pound halibut
[h=2]Given option of a free fishing trip to release fish, angler Dirk Whitsitt decides to take fish home; takes three shots from a .38 special to subdue trophy fish[/h]September 09, 2013 by David Strege

big-halibut-2.jpg
Photo courtesy of DeepStrike Sportfishing

Dirk Whitsitt, a construction worker from Kansas, caught a fish of a lifetime only an hour into his first fishing trip in Alaska, and he wasn’t about to release the monster, not even for a $250 voucher for another day of fishing.
You can’t blame him, really. The Pacific halibut he hooked in 370 feet of water in Cook Inlet out of Homer, Alaska, and fought for 45 minutes wound up weighing a whopping 231 pounds.
Once the decision was made to keep it, the prized fish needed to be subdued, which is no easy task with a halibut this size.
homer-sign.jpg
Photo from Wikimedia Commons

“Towards the end of the fight, the fish headed back toward the bottom and we had to release the anchor to follow the fish,” Capt. David Bayes of DeepStrike Sportfishing explained in an email to GrindTV Outdoor. “We shot it three times with a .38 special and used three gaffs to pull it aboard.”
Using a gun to subdue halibut is common practice in Alaska. In fact, it is recommended on any sizable fish over 100 pounds because big halibut are nearly all muscle and can do damage to people and boats if they’re not killed before being brought on board.
The other option, of course, is releasing the fish, one that Bayes gives an incentive to his passengers for doing.
“I offer fishermen a free trip if they opt to release a halibut of that size, but the angler was not interested,” he said. “That was the third halibut over 200 pounds that we’ve caught in the last month. One was estimated at 225 pounds and released. The other was 236 pounds and is the current Homer Halibut Jackpot Derby leader.”
To give an idea about the size of the halibut Whitsitt caught, first-year deckhand and recent graduate Kruiz Siewing, a former wide receiver for Montana State University, posed with the fish in a corner of the boat.
Siewing stands 5-11, 184 pounds and is dwarfed by the fish, which no doubt provided Whitsitt with plenty of fillets to take home.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
worth a fortune 150 pounds of prime hallibut fillet must be over 1000 pounds sterling at shop value. Fished to near non existance as a staple fish in the uk then we switched to cod. Lovely.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
worth a fortune 150 pounds of prime hallibut fillet must be over 1000 pounds sterling at shop value. Fished to near non existance as a staple fish in the uk then we switched to cod. Lovely.

£1500 - there was one landed not long ago in North Scotland, sold for £1500 at Glasgow fish market - buyer had to fillet it in the street as it was too ig to get in their kitchen :D - served 200 portions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stone-halibut--realises-big-fit-kitchen.html

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I know of a few people that are now checking everything they catch in the northern Pacific with a Geiger counter, thanks to Fukushima. It's not too much of a problem at the moment once you get a ways from Japan, but it's projected to get more serious over the next few years.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I know of a few people that are now checking everything they catch in the northern Pacific with a Geiger counter, thanks to Fukushima. It's not too much of a problem at the moment once you get a ways from Japan, but it's projected to get more serious over the next few years.

Not a bad idea - I live where a lot of the fallout from Chernyobyl landed, in the SW Scotland. It's not long since they finally cleared the sheep from one side of the valley for consumption. At least 4 of the shepherds that worked that side of the valley have died of cancer & there's a lot of health problems in their descendants. Of course we're told it had no effect.....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Taxi for Goatboy, main gate"

No perching on the fence with that comment. Come on it was only a tiddler of a pun. Though to tell a whiting lie I only though the names had a nice ling to them... I'll get the coat and hat I think.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

From what I've read, there's at least some radiation showing up in ALL tuna in the north Pacific. Supposedly at safe levels but......

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The ironic part is that the small ones are usually tastier. (Well here anyways) Though maybe his plan was to get it to a taxidermist?
If he does eat it he'll need a big skillet!:)

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
From what I've read, there's at least some radiation showing up in ALL tuna in the north Pacific. Supposedly at safe levels but......

There will be radiation showing up in absolutely everything, try putting a Geiger counter over a lump of granite, or some Brazil nuts.
The trick is to realise the difference between normal safe levels and high dangerous levels.
Some random wally just thinking "This thing is fair clicking" will just worry themselves.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The ironic part is that the small ones are usually tastier. (Well here anyways) Though maybe his plan was to get it to a taxidermist?
If he does eat it he'll need a big skillet!:)

I've never eaten halibut so I don't really know; but that's generally true of freshwater catfish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE