2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK I've just confirmed I'm up for doing both of these courses but now I think we need somewhere to chew the fat and make sure we get the best out of them.

Looking at most Scandinavian flight weight allowances I can see some potential problems that could possibly be alleviated through co-operation. For example, does everybody need a billy can or could some take frying pans, some take billies and others kettles so that everyone can share? That kind of thing.

I have some thoughts that could do with feedback from tutors or previous attendees.

Snow shovels aren't on the kit list so do we need them or not?

Kit lists tend to contain the essentials but often neglect the really useful desirables. What else is useful to take?

How much hiking is likely to be involved?
sporty68.gif
I'm nowhere near as young or fit as I once was and can't help wondering if I need to get in training.

I sure as heck want to take a camera with me but wonder if there will be any chance to recharge batteries during the first week? If not I'll need to buy more than I already have.

I'm sure more questions will arise but those will do for a start.

Last edited:

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
for spare batteries i use ebay and run them down to see how long they last.
i know several photographers who load the pockets of vests and coats to carry the max on aircraft and wear all the heavy clothing.
most chargers take the same lead so that can save weight.
i would get fit as possible and used to carrying a pack,it cant hurt.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland,
We will have sufficient for what we will be doing but if individuals want to bring their own then they are more than welcome, the more the merrier .. many hands make light work and all that!

Woody

And its alot easier to dig a snowhole with a snowshovel than with a crusader mug and your hands!..Take it from me!! ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I see that the kit list requires us to take a cooker for when we aren't using an open fire, how do we go about getting it on an aircraft as they are classed as Dangerous Cargo?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Snowshovels, I use one of these, Light but not good for frying eggs on.

Re meths stoves. I can drink tea faster than all the meths stoves in the world can boil water, is it possible to buy fuel bottles for a MSR petrol stove locally?

Woody

Forager
Re meths stoves. I can drink tea faster than all the meths stoves in the world can boil water, is it possible to buy fuel bottles for a MSR petrol stove locally?

Imagedude

Just empty, vent/breath your existing fuel bottle well in advance and pack it in your hold baggage with the cap off. I have traveled with all number of these type of stoves. They are only DAC when full or they are of the gas canister type. Empty and vented they
are just an aluminum bottle.

Woody.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks Woody that's cleared that up, my Peak stove will be coming with me then! I have a snow shovel aswell so that will be coming also..besides it's extremely light, so won't make up too much more weight!
Just out of curiosity will we be snow-shoeing at all?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland - It seems a lot but I'll be wearing most of it and it doesn't weigh that much. We used to ski up & down mountains with all that and more, and if I have to pay for extra baggage allowance I will. I might not bother with the axe though.

Bikething - Av cord is just short for avalanche cord (10m of dayglo paracord marked in 1m increments with an arrow pointing in yoour direction on each marker), its attached to you and if your crossing an avalanche risk area you deploy it, and hopefully some of the cord will remain above the snow. S.A.R should hopefully see the cord which will then direct them to you. HOPEFULLY!!
Snow bags - a couple of lightweight bags to collect snow in for cooking.

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland - It seems a lot but I'll be wearing most of it and it doesn't weigh that much. We used to ski up & down mountains with all that and more, and if I have to pay for extra baggage allowance I will.

Bikething - Av cord is just short for avalanche cord (10m of dayglo paracord marked in 1m increments with an arrow pointing in yoour direction on each marker), its attached to you and if your crossing an avalanche risk area you deploy it, and hopefully some of the cord will remain above the snow. S.A.R should hopefully see the cord which will then direct them to you. HOPEFULLY!!
Snow bags - a couple of lightweight bags to collect snow in for cooking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE