2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Has anyone thought about car sharing & driving up to northern norway?:dunno:
First I need to 'fess up, I'm not booked onto this expedition.
As I understand it the main bone of contention is Ryanair's baggage policy/pricing. If you car share your luggage is limited only by boot/roofbox space, you can take your favourite knife & you add to the adventure with a "road trip".
The only extra cost would be winter tyres. Mine cost about £35.00 each from e-bay, I have them fitted before each winter trip at a local tyre centre & they live in bin bags in my garage the rest of the year (although I put them on during the snow this winter).
So, go on, share the cost, share the driving & enjoy the adventure!:drive:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
How much hiking is likely to be involved?
sporty68.gif
I'm nowhere near as young or fit as I once was and can't help wondering if I need to get in training.

Don't worry I'm not too fit either. I'm currently doing an hour in the gym every morning followed either by a 6 mile run or 20 miles mountainbiking in order to get fit again.

Woody

Forager
1. Does everybody need a billy can or could some take frying pans, some take billies and others kettles so that everyone can share?
Ans: I would suggest you get together in groups of 3-4 and arrange to bring a variety.

2. Snow shovels aren't on the kit list so do we need them or not?
Ans: See above

3. How much hiking is likely to be involved?
Ans: About 2-3KM max per day, but this could be in deep/powder snow - We will move at the pace of the slowest person. No one will be left behind, everything will be a team effort. After day 1 and 2 most movement will be in and around the camp area.

4. I was also wondering if there is anywhere to leave stuff brought for the basic course that might not be needed for the advanced
Ans: Yes

5. I'm nowhere near as young or fit as I once was and can't help wondering if I need to get in training.
Ans: See 3 above, it is recommended that every one does at least some training prior to any such activity. Just living out side in these conditions will require a reasonable level of fitness.

6. I sure as heck want to take a camera with me but wonder if there will be any chance to recharge batteries during the first week? If not I'll need to buy more than I already have.
Ans: There will be a limited facility during week one in the fire house. You will need to bring adapters.

Woody

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks Woody, that gives me just the information I need.
541.gif

3. How much hiking is likely to be involved?
Ans: About 2-3KM max per day, but this could be in deep/powder snow - We will move at the pace of the slowest person. No one will be left behind, everything will be a team effort. After day 1 and 2 most movement will be in and around the camp area.

5. I'm nowhere near as young or fit as I once was and can't help wondering if I need to get in training.
Ans: See 3 above, it is recommended that every one does at least some training prior to any such activity. Just living out side in these conditions will require a reasonable level of fitness.

Woody

I don't anticipate too much of a problem with those sorts of distances. I was worried it might be a lot more.

Is it worth bringing snow shoes?

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks Woody, that gives me just the information I need.
541.gif

I don't anticipate too much of a problem with those sorts of distances. I was worried it might be a lot more.

Is it worth bringing snow shoes?

If its the same as last years exped you will be making your own snowshoes bud, im sure Woody will let you know ASAP, that is unless hes back in the jungle, trying to discover some new medicine he can sell for millions, so that he dont have to put up with us again......

Col

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With reference to kit, in the forces during Arctic training we were split up into groups of 4 (or tent groups) each group worked together to build the shelters etc. And each group also had one set of kit: 1 x stove (Coleman Peak), 1 x Lantern (Coleman twin filament), fire blanket, chopping board, 2 x snow shovels. We did pretty much everything that is on the advanced course, snow holes etc and got on just fine. I guess its just a case of logistics on our part to sort ourselves into groups to cut down on the amount of kit we each take.
What do you think?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was just thinking about the strong reliance on clothing made of wool , if there's quite a few of us who are going to purchase a known brand type , is it worth grouping our collective order together to make a large order and see about possible discount.??

Wasn't there mention of a factory outlet in Sweden somewhere offering significant discount??

##FOUND IT ##

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/omoss_5.asp

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sounds like a useful idea, we could open it up on the forum to get the numbers up. I've been looking at the mid-layer longjohns today at Tamarack and they look the business.

I came away with a second-hand pair of Baffin Pac boots which ticked another bit off my shopping list too.
reading.gif

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Just a thought at the moment but would it be a good idea to organise a mini meet up next winter, maybe somewhere in the Midlands, to sort out some of the group logistics before flying out?

I think I know somewhere we might be able to use.

We could use my place in Wales if that falls through...

I was just thinking about the strong reliance on clothing made of wool ,

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/omoss_5.asp

I'm a 100% synthetic person ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE