2 Grand treat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As long as you make sure there are no obstacles in the way as at your current longitude you are moving at a little under a thousand miles an hour. :)

Additionally, make sure you only stop moving relative to the earth as you are also managing about sixty six thousand miles an hour around the sun, so you'd either vanish into space or dig a hole through the earth (presuming you have some means of not catching fire due to air/ground friction).

You could also add the forty three thousand miles per hour the sun makes relative to this bit of galaxy, the four hundred and eighty three thousand mile per hour you are currently orbiting galactic centre at and the one point three million miles per hour that the galaxy is moving at.

So if you can hover and not explode or blow the planet up, you could arrive there in an inconceivably small amount of time, you'd just have to start at right location.

:)

Edited to add:

Yes, that was the result of my third coffee this morning.

:)

do i dare asking what happens if you drink four coffe in one morning?:p:D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Rik, does the OP `need` to fly?

Im a tengu and I have never flown...Never needed to.

But I get hassled to do all sorts of things I dont want to do.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too have a "fear of flying" - after the plane I was about to fly in had it's main wing spar fail on taxi-ing to pick us up...
I have learned to control this fear by applying liberal (but not excessive) doses of Scotch before and during flights :)
It works for me...
Spending time on Orkney has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread and as a true Orkneyophile I can recommend this - having traveled to spots all over the world Orkney is one place I keep going back to.
Short boat trip, fantastic archaeology , fantastic scenery, friendly locals - all good.
I like to spend at least 2 weeks at a time there and still have yet to see all I want to.
The one drawback is the lack of trees, though some of the small patches of woodlands do show signs of Bushcraft activity :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id love to go to Orkney too...But I seem to be stuck the other end of the country.

Ive been to Lewis which is good in parts but very windy.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I too have a "fear of flying" - after the plane I was about to fly in had it's main wing spar fail on taxi-ing to pick us up...
I have learned to control this fear by applying liberal (but not excessive) doses of Scotch before and during flights :)
It works for me...

Well i did try that with vodka, but the 4 hour delay meant i had sobered up and the bar was closed before the plane was fit for purpose.

I consumed 4 paracetamol half an hour before we boarded in the hope that if we did crash it wouldn't be sore....How's that for logic. :lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had a chat with the wife about anxiety and flying (she's the senior nurse therapist for a local NHS trust) and she suggested a chat with your GP and get written up for some diazepam and take it about an hour before take off...keep off the booze though.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well i did try that with vodka, but the 4 hour delay meant i had sobered up and the bar was closed before the plane was fit for purpose.

I consumed 4 paracetamol half an hour before we boarded in the hope that if we did crash it wouldn't be sore....How's that for logic. :lmao:

The problem was you STOPPED applying the sedative - I keep going until I am back on Terror firma (that ain't no typo neither!)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Anyhow, flying isnt scary; Birds do it all the time, its one of their defining qualities, note, and they are timid creatures.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
i've got no problems with flying i love the thought of flying, the thought of it failing to fly sometimes pops up though

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
The flying part is easy, it's the landing and taking off that gets me.......who am i kidding, The whole experience is terrifying for me. I have flown in Chinooks and i didn't have a problem even though when i first saw one i was thinking, Bloody hell, it's a double decker bus with rotors.

I believe it's more of a control issue, someone else is in control of my destiny.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Love this thread. It's cementing my dreams of Nordic travel. Cheers chaps.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE