2 Grand treat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ok, Next year i will be the big Hawaii 50, so i was thinking i might just go nuts and spend 2k on a adventure somewhere on Earth.

In some of the more exotic places 2K wont really take you far, but us being us we could probably find some sort of outdoor adventure for a fortnight for £12.50...So 2k could be one helluva outdoor adventure.

I'm thinking i could be gone for half the year if i watch what i'm doing. Seen it done, but obviously i cant be gone for that long.

10 days to a fortnight over December-January would be long enough for me. I was looking at a Scandinavian cruise but i cant even go one of Tony Medina's fishing boats out of Ayr without throwing up for half a day. So i'm thinking it'll need to be land lubberesque for me.

I'm not much of a flyer. The last flight i was on, 2010, the pilot had to come into the waiting area to reassure me that the wings weren't going to fall off. My GF at the time said she would never fly with me again. oh well.
The Pilot said all the right things, mainly, "If i thought the plane wasn't going to make it do you think i would be on the bloody thing" convinced, i took my seat to the frowns and glares of the passengers as i walked the aisle of death and silence....:eek:

C'mon, the flight was delayed for 4 hours due to a "Mechanical fault" that they then changed the wording to a "technical fault",?? (hence the reluctance to get on the flight) 5 more mins delayed more wasn't going to make much of a difference.

Another thing holding me back is my lack of fitness at the moment, i was ill for a bit and have since let my physical fitness drop, but i have a year to improve on that and get it back to where i was a few years back. I have since stopped smoking. Not long, 2 months, with a couple of relapses, but i can feel my lungs and breathing have improved in that short space of time.

Anyone got any ideas.? For obvious reasons the middle east is out.

Cheers..S

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Like you i like a good bit of bargain outdoor adventuring, i have been looking at renting a fishermans house on a fjord in Norway next year, costs anywhere from 200 to 1500 euro per week depending on what you want, most come with a boat and the more you spend the more luxuries you have, for around 200 euro per week (accom only you still gotta get yourself there and back) you basically get a rustic cabin with a couple of rooms and very little else except a wood burning stove to heat the place and cook on (my type of dream place)

check out this site if that stuff interests you just input your desired requirements of your accommodation and hit search, this is the type of thing i am gonna go for no internet or running water or heating and a couple of hotplates a coffeemachine and a fridge to serve as a kitchen, great fishing, canoe included in the deal, fjords to swim in and tranquillity to bask in

c186983a281.jpg

the site is great for finding stuff like that all over europe

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There are a number of good Arctic Bushcraft course providers, you could book with.

For less than £2k, you could fly out to Canada and book a weeks course with Mors Kochanski, or go to Sweden or Norway, and do a course there with instructors trained by Lars Falt.

Just depends what you want as they all offer something a bit different.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Like you i like a good bit of bargain outdoor adventuring, i have been looking at renting a fishermans house on a fjord in Norway next year, costs anywhere from 200 to 1500 euro per week depending on what you want, most come with a boat and the more you spend the more luxuries you have, for around 200 euro per week (accom only you still gotta get yourself there and back) you basically get a rustic cabin with a couple of rooms and very little else except a wood burning stove to heat the place and cook on (my type of dream place)

check out this site if that stuff interests you just input your desired requirements of your accommodation and hit search, this is the type of thing i am gonna go for no internet or running water or heating and a couple of hotplates a coffeemachine and a fridge to serve as a kitchen, great fishing, canoe included in the deal, fjords to swim in and tranquillity to bask in

c186983a281.jpg

the site is great for finding stuff like that all over europe

That looks marvelous, thanks for sharing. I shall be enquiring myself, for sure. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
There are hundreds like that all over Norway and Sweden, you can go rustic like that one with very basic stuff right up to big flashy places with jacuzzi and sauna and all manner of luxury furnishings all depending how much you want to spend, for myself i want the very minimalist basics my main criteria in my searches is that the accommodation rental comes with a canoe and is heated by a wood fire or wood burning stove, be nice to have an outdoor firepit/bbq area too. My plan is to fly into Oslo and then get a hire car, i also like the thought of taking a few days to get to Norway via trains and then get a hire car, make the journey part of the adventure

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Quote "check out this site if that stuff interests you just input your desired requirements of your accommodation and hit search, this is the type of thing i am gonna go for no internet or running water or heating and a couple of hotplates a coffeemachine and a fridge to serve as a kitchen, great fishing, canoe included in the deal, fjords to swim in and tranquillity to bask in

c186983a281.jpg

the site is great for finding stuff like that all over europe[/QUOTE]"

Oh this is lovely! I've generally used Trekkers huiten in the Netherlands , and there are equivalents all over Europe, but this site is quite new to me, thank you so much, now I just need to persuade the husband....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why go on the beaten track? Why not try something different?

Id love to explore the inland waterways, a narrowboat might be a bit much, but surely you could hire a little cruiser and see a hidden part of England with lots of wildlife, laid back inhabitants and faschinating industrial history.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Why go on the beaten track? Why not try something different?

Id love to explore the inland waterways, a narrowboat might be a bit much, but surely you could hire a little cruiser and see a hidden part of England with lots of wildlife, laid back inhabitants and faschinating industrial history.

My mother has done that a few times she highly rates it as a peaceful getaway

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How are you on boats? Or heights? Ive been watching the reality tv series, (ice road truckers, deadliest catch, axe men, australian miners, etc) you could work your way along a rather big adventure. Getting there by container ships is a way to do it.

If you dont fancy that bigger adventure, a cruise around the fyordds of scandinavia, or just catch the boat over from shetland or aberdeen and make your way from there.

Edit:

If december january is the thing, I know someone who went to the ice hotel on a package, dog sledding etc, they seemed to quite like it.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've often thought about going to Orkney for a fortnight, hopefully staying in a small cottage near a pub.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What would you like to do to pass the time ?
Walk, wander, work, read, learn a new skillset ?

You don't sail happily, you're not so good on aeroplanes, and you're not ready to walk a couple of hundred miles carrying all your kit, so, maybe something nearer home would do well.
£2K would go a long way in the UK, and you could learn some brilliant skills en route :)

Do a basic course with Backwoods or FourCrows, both pretty much on your doorstep, and then go and camp up at Comriecroft for a 5 day midweek and practice. Camp out in a Kata for the luxury :)
Head down south and do a flintknapping course with one of the Lords or Karl Lee (highly recommend all of them) maybe a blacksmithing course with Dave Budd ? again, highly recommended; make your own knife. Head across to the Yorkshire coast and forage some flint….it's literally falling out of the glacial stuff that's being eroded there….back up and away up Leadhills and do some gold panning. Maybe go and do one of the bowyers courses. Do some roving :) make your own arrowheads from the flint, the cordage from your bushcrafting course, and the pitch glue as well, just because you can. Ask Hamish (Dreadhead) if he'd be up for teaching you some leatherworking skills; he'd maybe design a course for you ? and make your own quiver, belt, etc.,

That's just a ramble of an idea, but for a couple of weeks you could fair pack in the the craft and skills and chill out factors :) and still have change to eat well and enjoy the company. If you can work in one of the big reenactors markets near Warwick too though, you'll not have much change left I reckon :)

Whatever you do, I hope it's a great jaunt.
My half century was celebrated at a Medieval Festival in Lanark….and two longships worth of Vikings sang me Happy Birthday :D :eek: :eek:
It was a very good weekend :D I hope yours is as much fun.

atb,
M

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm still in the dreaming/rough planning stage at the minute, looks like i can fly direct to Stavanger from Newcastle so i'll be looking for that type of thing nearish that area, good thing is there are thousands of square miles of wilderness near that airport

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'm still in the dreaming/rough planning stage at the minute, looks like i can fly direct to Stavanger from Newcastle so i'll be looking for that type of thing nearish that area, good thing is there are thousands of square miles of wilderness near that airport
You fly. I'll get the ferry then hire some wheels. :rolleyes:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My first thoughts were going by ferry and taking our own car but I haven't been able to find a ferry that runs to norway from UK yet, checked south shields, hull and aberdeen but had no joy so i started looking at flights and car hire once on the other side

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was also thinking taking car on ferry to amsterdam and then driving up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE