2 Grand treat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Great threads them Hamish i just read them both again right through, i think you definitely share some of the blame for planting the seeds of a Norwegian adventure in my fertile brain garden

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Found this. Now where the hell is Immingham..? Page 1 newest first.. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...o_Norway-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html

109. Re: ferry travel from UK to Norway
02 July 2015, 14:11

I posted on this topic earlier on the thread - we set sail from Immingham in UK in the early hours of Sunday morning to Brevik southern Norway, using a DFDS freight ship, really looking forward to travelling a little bit differently!

It has been a bit stressful getting it booked though - initially we were told that we could book 10 weeks in advance but the goalposts were then moved and we were told it could only be booked 4 weeks in advance - rather complicated when we needed to book other ferries (Ireland to UK) and accommodation while in Scandinavia then we were informed 2 weeks ago that DFDS freight could not transport us back (we had intended returning via Gothenburg to Immingham route) so we had to very quickly scramble to work out a return journey - which now involves sailing Gothenburg to Kiel then driving to Rotterdam to return to UK and then onwards home to Ireland - all part of the adventure!

If anyone is interested, I will let you know how the cargo sailing was, food and accom etc

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Immingham is Cleathorpes north east lincolnshire, i'm leaning heavily towards car on the ferry from north sheilds to amsterdam and then just driving up to Norway via denmark with a second ferry crossing from the north tip of denmark into norway and carving 14hrs off the driving time if driven around the way on land, the journey will be scenic to say the least :lmao:probably be way cheaper than flying and then hiring a car

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Toddys advice is good, pick up some new skills.

Theres a thousand and one things to do here in Cornwall, including lots of craft courses.

Lots of places to stay; My campsite is open all year round, we have statics to rent.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I like the thought of the simplicity of it but it's pretty pricey at £164 per person each way plus £144 for the car each way, Newcastle to Holland for 2 people and a car is only £147 each way all in

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I like the thought of the simplicity of it but it's pretty pricey at £164 per person each way plus £144 for the car each way, Newcastle to Holland for 2 people and a car is only £147 each way all in
£300 is not bad. how much fuel/££ would you burn through never mind the wear and tear on the vehicle traveling from Holland.? kinda evens itself out maybe £50 here or there. ?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Awesome stuff my pencilled in plans were for after march, i call that something along the lines of fate, kudos for finding that Steve that will save a fortune in pennies and time, car on ferry direct from Newcastle to Stavanger would be perfect

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Awesome stuff my pencilled in plans were for after march, i call that something along the lines of fate, kudos for finding that Steve that will save a fortune in pennies and time, car on ferry direct from Newcastle to Stavanger would be perfect
Sure would beat the Phileas Fogg trip we were looking at. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Hopefully it goes ahead i have just finished reading all the comments and stuff on that link and there has been no further news on it since the first press relase

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hopefully it goes ahead i have just finished reading all the comments and stuff on that link and there has been no further news on it since the first press relase
With all that goings on in the world i'm surprised people aren't looking to holiday further north. The Scandinavian tourist board dont appear to push the boat out, (no pun intended) when it comes to selling themselves here in the UK. Maybe they've seen what goes on in Magaloof and Prague and decided against it. :lmao:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
if only Back to the future part 2 was prophecy we'd all be using hover cars now, goddam hollywood lies all of it

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You need help with your irrational fear of flying, talk to your GP and you may get a referral to a therapist and this will open up your travel options a lot. My January flights to Gran Canaria worked out at £120 return and we booked accommodation via alpharooms.com

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is it possible to hover for a few hours and use the Earths rotation passing under your feet to get you somewhere..:lmao:

As long as you make sure there are no obstacles in the way as at your current longitude you are moving at a little under a thousand miles an hour as the earth spins. :)

Additionally, make sure you only stop moving relative to the earth as you are also managing about sixty six thousand miles an hour around the sun, so you'd either vanish into space or dig a hole through the earth (presuming you have some means of not catching fire due to air/ground friction).

You could also add the forty three thousand miles per hour the sun makes relative to this bit of galaxy, the four hundred and eighty three thousand mile per hour you are currently orbiting galactic centre at and the one point three million miles per hour that the galaxy is moving at.

So if you can hover and not explode or blow the planet up, you could arrive there in an inconceivably small amount of time, you'd just have to start at right location.

:)

Edited to add:

Yes, that was the result of my third coffee this morning.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm, methinks Sandbender might need a decafe... Or the secret plans to my space ladder! Mwhahaha!

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
As long as you make sure there are no obstacles in the way as at your current longitude you are moving at a little under a thousand miles an hour. :)

Additionally, make sure you only stop moving relative to the earth as you are also managing about sixty six thousand miles an hour around the sun, so you'd either vanish into space or dig a hole through the earth (presuming you have some means of not catching fire due to air/ground friction).

You could also add the forty three thousand miles per hour the sun makes relative to this bit of galaxy, the four hundred and eighty three thousand mile per hour you are currently orbiting galactic centre at and the one point three million miles per hour that the galaxy is moving at.

So if you can hover and not explode or blow the planet up, you could arrive there in an inconceivably small amount of time, you'd just have to start at right location.

Edited to add:

Yes, that was the result of my third coffee this morning.

I knew it was possible, just couldn't work out the maths involved. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE