1st snow??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
We had about an inch in the end, sticky wet stuff that froze everything solid by morning. Still looks lovely in the sun now though :biggrin:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'd say that counts:) - It was snowing 8 miles away inland, but when I get back home there's nothing, 2 degrees difference between the two locations! just wet rainyness at home - the joys of the salty coast.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hoora - A good amount of snow today :) -4 this morning, so still not desperately cold, but cold enough.

Most schools closed, so kids well happy, works still open :( but as I basically live next door I can't really get away with a snow day, but hey ho, at least I've got a window to look out of.

A next door neighbour has no water, and I'll bet the shops'll be out of milk and bread by tea time, just hope everyone stays safe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's beautiful here too :) about 15cms and there's more to come apparently. Son2, and most folks around us, are having a snow day.

M

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
A good indicator of weather conditions here is the number of robins that come to the bird table in the garden without murdering each other. Normally we have 2 robins that hold territories either side of the house and meet in the middle for a scrap now and then. Today we have 5 robins all eating at the same time. One more and I officially declare that we've entered another ice age.

Reactions: Macaroon and Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Much of the aggression seems to leave the Robins hereabouts at this time of year; other things on their minds as they pair up and ready themselves to breed? I have been feeding one out of my hand this winter but even in this cold he won't come closer than three feet, even for mealworms, as he now has his partner sorted. I've noticed this behaviour at this time of year before, but not every year. :dunno:

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I had a look earlier at the weather in Newfoundland where I used to live, boy they've had a good smothering of snow, I miss it being like that. Yesterday it snowed nearly all day here and at the end of it, not a bit on the floor, we had some icy patches but that's about it, we're sitting about -3 at the moment with clear blue skies...

Reactions: Lou

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Roads were pretty bad this morning on the way to work, even the dual carriageway was covered in snow. Ended up turning around and going home instead.
Had about 3-4 inches earlier, and its been heavy snow on and off all day, so getting thicker, and heavy drifting in bits.

Boss been on the phone on and off for the day trying to get me out. How do you reason with someone who is sitting 50 miles away on the coast saying "But there is no snow here" ?

I suspect from the forecast tommorrow is going to be much the same if not worse.

Reactions: Lou and Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's been almost melting by 2PM the past few days so the snow has settled to what looks like no more than 60 cm (24" ) over the grass.
The streets are plowed, of course, the berms by driveways are 6-8' hard packed.

I''ve always enjoyed the first few little snowfalls, even if they melt. Picture #42 Deserves a walk in the crisp air. Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Roads were pretty bad this morning on the way to work, even the dual carriageway was covered in snow. Ended up turning around and going home instead.
Had about 3-4 inches earlier, and its been heavy snow on and off all day, so getting thicker, and heavy drifting in bits.

Boss been on the phone on and off for the day trying to get me out. How do you reason with someone who is sitting 50 miles away on the coast saying "But there is no snow here" ?

I suspect from the forecast tommorrow is going to be much the same if not worse.

Point out that there's a RED ALERT, Risk to Life, warning out, and that bus and train and road transport sites are all advising that people only travel if it can't be avoided.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Point out that there's a RED ALERT, Risk to Life, warning out, and that bus and train and road transport sites are all advising that people only travel if it can't be avoided.

Yeah, you'd like to think that would save any explaining.

"But im looking out the window right now and there isnt any snow" Therefore, the rest of the country is at it.
This is the same guy mind you who can be sitting in another country on holiday, telling you just to get the job done because its dry and sunny, despite the rain running down your trousers at that point in time...

Anyone got a job going? :laugh:

Still snowing on and off here in Renfrewshire, snows piling up against the front door.

Trotsky

State of emergency here in Lincolnshire apparently, heard reports that the army are out helping rescue people and ferry around nurses and patients. I've got winter tyres on my car and it was still interesting in places today, the biggest danger was everyone else on the roads though.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It's dipped to -9°c outside now and it's gusting strongly so wind chill must be savage. I feel sorry for animals outdoors on nights like this.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yeah, you'd like to think that would save any explaining.

"But im looking out the window right now and there isnt any snow" Therefore, the rest of the country is at it.
This is the same guy mind you who can be sitting in another country on holiday, telling you just to get the job done because its dry and sunny, despite the rain running down your trousers at that point in time...

Anyone got a job going? :laugh:

Still snowing on and off here in Renfrewshire, snows piling up against the front door.

You are in scotland after all, in more ways than one.

But the point is they are making a hell of alot of it, they had something like a snow depth of 5cm in london, and its the end of the world, we had 12 inches in early december and london centric media didnt bat an eye. Trecherous pavements for a week. And if 100 miles from london doesnt get a notice it shows you the intravert media position. God help the outer hebredies!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mind that changeability that we spoke of earlier on another thread ? This is it in example.
Just now we have snow, deep snow, snow that has snarled up roads and railways. At the start of the week we didn't. By next week it'll be gone.
This morning we woke up to a foot of snow and icicles hanging from the gutters of every house in the street. The ones on our house were over a metre long and as thick as my arm.
By noon those had melted, and the snow had decreased, then the blizzards came back, and it's snowing again just now.

We live with flux in the weather. It's normal, and it's only the extremes that catch us out, because the necessity of being flexible about the weather is much more common during the other 360+ days in the year.

We don't have laws about snow tyres, we don't have permafrost, we don't have desertificating drought, we don't have long boring spells of consistent weather types. It's constantly changing. Most folks don't have snow suits, or transport that needs skidoos or sledges or snow traction, so of course things grind to a halt when the snow does come deeply.
It won't last, and we'll be back to mud soon enough.

At least the days are stretching out again though :D and the snow's been mostly a good excuse for a few days holiday for folks. It's been a blasted nuisance for other though.

M

Reactions: Broch

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
YES! See it from the bright side!
Your point about an extra few days of vacation is important.

Use the weather to put on some clothes (an extra layer should be fine), go out for a walk, npop into a pub for a drink, go home, relax, relax, relax!

But on a more serious note I do not understand why the railways and airports have problems.
A train is heavy enough to be able to crush several feet of heavy snow to nothing.
The track changing devices work well in temps of -10, so no problem there.
Airports? They have the machinery to remove the snow and ice.

A few years ago my wife was stuck in Heathrow for a couple of days. Snow. Weirdly enough the runway in Stockholm where she departed from was snow covered. And the aircraft landed fine in LHR. But no take off could be done. she flew BA from Stockholm.
Weird. Cost me a couple extra nights in the hotel at Terminal 5. Plus food.

Driving a car on summer tyres? Sure. Slow is pro' as they say.
But if you are not sure, stay at home and be safe!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Here we get the same unfounded hysteria (mainly from new expats) during hurricane season.
When a storm is approaching the southern Caribbean you guys should see the panic in the supermarkets!
people 'stock up' on the most ridiculous stuff.
I saw one guy (getting instructions from wife on mobile) loading his US sized trolley with bags of popcorn and crisps.
Or people buying tubs and tubs of ice cream. Really nice to have 15 tubs of icecream melting in your freezer when the electricity goes......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Both my two have been told not to go into work tomorrow. So that's three snow days.

Anyway, Borderreiver posted this elsewhere, and I've nicked it :)

28471835_1086936934780226_5242683994703768165_n.jpg

Reactions: Lou and Leshy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE