Laptop dedicated rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Decided my Karrimor Jaguar is too big

and it hasnt a dedicated padded bit, so I have the laptop in a sleeve...more fussing

I need a proper bag but not a holdall...a rucksack.

Any reccomendations?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mph, my skills are not that good. And my time is a bit tight these days

I went round the charity shops and got a bag from Ikea Family which fits everything. But having a curious look it doesnt seem to be very improvable.

The bag is in two sections with the zip off outer being a whole mini rucksack...the zip goes round the sides and the top leaving the bottom free.

I thought of devising lacing over the bottom so I could slip items between the two bags and use it as storage. (why would I want to separate them???)

But it doesnt seem to be constructed in a way that allows this easily.

However the bag was only £10 so I am not arguing

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a High Sierra Elite, bought it from CostCo and it has been the best laptop rucksack I’ve ever had.
3 big pockets, a padded sleeve for lap top, even has the strap loop thingy to fit it on the handle of a suitcase.

Sent using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tengu, please check your link....is that really what you meant to post ?

Why does it have to be a rucksack ? would a messenger type bag not do as well ? I had one (I think it's still up the loft) that held my laptop and had a seperate compartment for papers, etc., and a bigger section that held waterproofs, a pullover, and lunch. It had a wide comfortable strap and was very good in use.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, that doesnt work, does it?

I have a wonderful laptop bag by Travelpro, bombproof, and a pleasing brown shade. However it does my posture no good.

OK for short trips, but not commuting.

All these good bags are expensive...even the tool company ones.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend, who is broke, but has gone back to Uni as a mature student. He's using a kid's schoolbag to carry his laptop and stuff around. One meant for older teenagers. He said he got it in Asda. He says it's surprisingly comfortable and not so bulky that it's an issue on the bus or underground. Might be worth a look. The schools aren't that long back and the shops are clearing the shelves for the Christmas stuff.

Sorry Tengu, not being of much help. A messenger type one I could pass along, but I don't have a rucksack meant to carry a laptop too.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The answer is simple - you need a Go Ruck 1 (21L) - problem is the cost. But, apart form the muted branding, which is easily removed, they are totally impeccable bags. I have one. most everything else I have became redundant the day it showed up and I virtually live out of it, even when I am in the house. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Billy-o, those Go rucks...Erm, how do they justify the price? But they do look good bags

I am tempted by the Wengers that Crossland Kelly suggested...a good brand too...but if I dither and someone else bids then I wont mind.

I dont kit shop much but I am very fussy when I do shop.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Billy-o, those Go rucks...Erm, how do they justify the price? But they do look good bags

I am tempted by the Wengers that Crossland Kelly suggested...a good brand too...but if I dither and someone else bids then I wont mind.

I dont kit shop much but I am very fussy when I do shop.

There isn't any justification, I think, Tengu. It likely isn't a rip off, just a good bag made in the US and so it costs a lot. Though I feel others may differ on that, and I might too at some point. They do spend a lot of time narrating this expense though ... the prices of the Go Ruck core pieces suddenly jumped up by 100USD just a week or so ago.

Look at the Rucker as an alternative to the GR1 - it is a lot cheaper and you can make it work ... just means that your laptop will be in a sleeve inside the bag rather than in a dedicated sleeve on the outside. Maybe that's better, even.

All that aside, elsewhere, one of the great sources on baggage, minds_eye, suggested looking at these:

https://recycledfirefighter.com/col...fighter/products/the-battalion-12-hr-backpack

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was hesitating to mention Hill People Gear since they are not cheap and not really something I would expect Tengu to purchase. However, since that Goruck has been mentioned, I might as well mention the HPG Umlindi and Attache Case combo.

Its expensive, but I love this set up. The Umlindi has a sleeve that means a thin laptop can be used in place of the back board and stay (which are removable), or, you can dock the Attache case to it. The Attache has a good wide removable shoulder strap. Pack can be worn with a hip belt, which is sold separate, and is removable too. If the main bag is empty, the Attache (or other pockets sold for the purpose) can be used as a compression panel to squash the Umlindi to the backboard. They even made a butt pack that can be used as a smaller shoulder bag, or with the belt, or as a lid unit on the pack. All sized to fit normal airline carry-on sizes.

Attache:
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/12
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/22/postid/22905/scope/posts

Umlindi:
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/9

ATTRG_5_1000.JPG

ATTFG_2_1000.jpg

And when you are done with study, swap the Attache for one of the other pockets, load up the waist belt stick the M2016 butt pack on as a lid, and hit the jungle trail ;)
DSC06996 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Neat and tidy, to be sure, but I am not sure how useful that thing is without the Umlindi. Pretty limited space for a book carrier, not much room for lunch, gym stuff, hobby things etc ... does it attach to other packs? Does it go inside other packs?

One thing you might like to look into is the second-hand Tumi market. This is what they do. And whilst uncheap new, if you find the model you are after, or something similar, ebay can be a great boon ... I have had a couple of luck-outs in that area :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, HPG do an all in one that can take a laptop.
Astonhouse pack: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/41
AH_group1_1653_1000.jpg

The reason why one might want to be able to separate the laptop carrier/organiser from the main bag is that one may have ones coat, lunch...gym stuff...in the main bag and not want to haul all of it into a business meeting. I have a very large and heavy laptop, with a heavy charger, and it is quite true that there isn't space in the Attache for those, my spiral bound note pad, Kifaru organiser with stuff, AND my lunch, much less a jumper or coat, but I often want to carry my laptop and work related stuff around without looking like I am setting up house. ;)

There are many ways to tackle the problem of carrying urban work/study gear. Before I got the Umlindi/Attache, I carried my laptop in an old (bought 20 years ago) LLBean Deluxe Book Pack. No padding for a laptop, so I made two padded end protectors using hard closed cell foam and a blue roll mat, contact cement and duct tape. Worked okay for trips to France and the US, but was a royal pain in the behind at security since it was impossible to remove the laptop for inspection without unpacking the entire main compartment too. Some perspective of how annoying it was can be gained when I say that I bought the Attache with my own money for the sole purpose of hauling my company laptop around. Had I not been travelling I might have stuck with the home made foam things a bit longer.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Now you're talking. I have been wondering about getting a Tarahumara for its little size, but that looks like something to add to the considerations list :) (EDIT - whut! Its a 50L pack by the look of it! :lol: 120lb carry ... maybe not then)

Re: "vintage tumi laptop rucksack" ebay popped this straight away. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tumi-Backp...567111?hash=item2146f7d247:g:3rMAAOSwDyxbi4iB

But you might just want to go onto the Tumi site itself and look at their options for inspiration about what they do, and then look again at the bay. The 20L Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox in black nylon is good, but the prices seem a bit off/high. I wonder if it is discontinued in black nylon. But there's a start point, at least - 260USD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tumi-Alpha...700898&hash=item591283cd05:g:fekAAOSw8H1bmD1p

This is pretty - 200USD new:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tumi-Brady-Compact-Laptop-Case-Brief-Back-Pack-Carry-on-Luggage-Bag-Spruce-Green/232919794979?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=bff31b0155f2453d9c31edf2a26b7fa2&pid=100008&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=382562716933&itm=232919794979&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
One thing to add is that the longevity of affordable to mid-price bags is questionable. Our kids tear through a pack a year at school. Jansports, Victorinox, Puma ... all of which you can pick up reasonably at places like Winners, TJMaxx etc ... But, name a brand in that sphere. They last the year OK, but when you come to look at them next year, you can see they are shot. I was much the same til I picked up a few old Tumis, Kifarus and this GoRuck. Fashionable, however, or stylish, they ain't. Just tough enough to run for a bit and well-organized.

Best bits about the GoRuck are its anonymity and more or less minimal organizational fuss. Clampack, with easy access to an internal top pocket, a means to hang things internally (I hook in my brolly on the molle and have a kifaru chamber pocket there too at the top), a document sleeve (more use than I thought it was going to get), the flat pocket at the front is perfect for a light raincoat, folded appropriately -- or gloves, hat, newspaper. Clampack gives you side access too, in case you want to pack it like a messenger bag. Just swing it round off one arm. And, of course the most excellent external laptop compartment.

Just right for work ... gym shoes and Lock&Lock full of lunch all fit alongside whatever crap I am reading plus a slightly bulky pen case, notebook, audio and the other trappings and paraphernalia.

People in the adverts put 30lb weights in these things and use them to do press ups in the mud in an effort to improve their standing as Americans ... I wouldn't dream of it, nor would I take it camping. They don't distribute weight to the hips well enough whilst being to heavy for a light hiking set up. For commuting, however, they are unimpeachable.

Getting the big sell, here, eh? :lol:

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I wish I was as rich as you lot assume.

Some great bags there...I think I will go have a lie down in a darkened room...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE