Zebra Billy Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Having just made a Nimblewill stove, and being quite impressed with it, It got me to thinking about other stove designs........

I tend to carry a zebra billy (Which does not fit on the Nimblewill to well) so thought I would design something around that.

Multi fuel and compact where the main objectives (I also took inspiration from my kelly kettle)

Here is the result

The Billy with the stove inside

01-1.jpg

All of the components out of the Billy

02-1.jpg

The process of putting the stove together

03-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

05-1.jpg

The stove in action (on 1Lt of water)

06-1.jpg

7 mins later

07-1.jpg

And the 8th min

08-1.jpg

"Ah but you said multi fuel"....... I hear you cry

Well here we are!

Next tot he Nimblewill I made

14-1.jpg

All fired up!

15-1.jpg

Next to the Nimblewill and with a good blaze going

16-1.jpg

And the remaining ash after the Billy has boiled (10mins)

17.jpg

Here comes the technical bit!

For the base of the burner I used the small steamer that comes with the zebra Billy, Drilled 10mm holes all the way around

The side walls are stainless (From an old kitchen pan)

The rivets to hold the side walls are also stainless (5mm)

All in all it is light, compact and useable!

Reactions: andyn

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
SunDog said:
Any ideas on the best place to get a Zebra billy can? Is the 12cm model wide enough? How deep is it?
Cheers

The Billy in the picture is a 12cm, it is big enough for 1, though I tend to have my crusader with me also!

Kata got my Billy for me, drop him a pm I am sure he will reveal his sources!!

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
hiya pignut i have made a zebra stove from the 14cm billy can the pics r in the jake lymer gallery jobby would put them here but computer clueless, they take some drilling hard as nails these billy cans

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Cheers Pignut,

I have just made a stove to your pattern, it works perfectly, and answers the question of what to do with that small dish.

Pignut :You_Rock_

Stewey

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Pignut,

I made mine with four upstands rather than three, for no particular reason. I have bolted the ends together rather than rivetted them as the theaving git next door has borrowed my rivetter and locked it in his garage while away on holiday for two weeks. (I shouldn't complain I have had his angle grinder for about a year).

I think my stove is a little higher than yours out of the bottom pan. This is down to the size of steel I could obtain.

I cut it out using the Dremel and lots of grinding blades.

It burns well and works efficiently. It is an excellent design, mine is not an improvement but just slightly different.

I have just ditched my other stove from the pack.

I had great fun making it, thanks once again for the idea. :You_Rock_

Stewey. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE