Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm amazed at how quickly all the streams here have run dry considering all the wet we had over winter - it looks like it's the same with you.

It didn’t take long at all, that stream is fairly occasional anyway. The main part of The Lavant is still flowing well. Traditionally there’s the Duck Race in May and then the river gets smaller until it dries up again. We’re in a chalk valley, water will sweep off the Downs and into the streams, and then the chalk absorbs it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
From my wife's camera - a few weeks ago when it was raining.....A soggy sparrowhawk resting in one of our beech trees:

49920149612_17551b0c0f_c.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I went to Wasdale for a short trip out as the weather was very calm and there was a chance of a reflection not my usual tome of year for landscapes but I wanted to try my Olympus E-M1ii (for landscapes) and fancied getting somewhere a bit calm after a long day at work.

I chose mono as I felt it suited the scene

Wasdale mono reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Was out on the Downs today since my gammy toe was feeling a lot better and I could go for a walk.
Managed to find a decent haul of wild strawberries. Small they may be, but they pack a massive whallop in your mouth...

49974047731_b252694b55_z.jpg

It's that time of year and there were loads of pyramid orchids sprouting up...

49974305572_c7326b8bbf_z.jpg

And little dots of scarlet pimpernels on the chalk trackways:

49974305522_8659a4edb9_z.jpg

Not seen so many adders so far this year, but they are about. The lizards are still here though:

49974047911_945c7d350f_z.jpg

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Well, we've had quite a day of unusual sightings, mostly without a camera to hand....First off, we saw Rachel Johnson in the M&S filling station near us....but on to less common fauna! This morning we saw a stoat on the lookout for rabbits while we were fixing the fruit cage, a large (!) fledgling green woodpecker in the garden chasing flying ants, a buzzard on a roadside post (a few feet away), rabbits everywhere, and the subject of the picture - a young sparrowhawk. We saw him/her land on our feeder frame, and then zoom down to chase some songbirds into the hedge - unsuccessfully in the end. The hawk then took off and zoomed round the corner of our house, then snatched a fledgling (we think it was a young robin) from the roof of the fruit cage, and dropped down to the area by our compost bins. I pointed this out to my missus, and she crept round there with her camera. She managed to snap a couple of shots before the hawk flew off, fledgling in talons:

50068915262_b56e3f81b2_c.jpg

We felt a bit sorry for the little one, but that is nature.

Cheers, Bob

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well, we've had quite a day of unusual sightings, mostly without a camera to hand....First off, we saw Rachel Johnson in the M&S filling station near us....but on to less common fauna! This morning we saw a stoat on the lookout for rabbits while we were fixing the fruit cage, a large (!) fledgling green woodpecker in the garden chasing flying ants, a buzzard on a roadside post (a few feet away), rabbits everywhere, and the subject of the picture - a young sparrowhawk. We saw him/her land on our feeder frame, and then zoom down to chase some songbirds into the hedge - unsuccessfully in the end. The hawk then took off and zoomed round the corner of our house, then snatched a fledgling (we think it was a young robin) from the roof of the fruit cage, and dropped down to the area by our compost bins. I pointed this out to my missus, and she crept round there with her camera. She managed to snap a couple of shots before the hawk flew off, fledgling in talons:

50068915262_b56e3f81b2_c.jpg

We felt a bit sorry for the little one, but that is nature.

Cheers, Bob

Nice shot

Reactions: bobnewboy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE