Yellow Wood... Anyone been?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I was thinking of going to Yellow Wood for a weekend and I was wondering if anyone had been?

It's only about 30 miles from me which is a lot closer than most of the meets and after a run in with the FC I'm a little put off going to Mortimers Forest any time soon :censored:.:umbrella:

It seems pretty good value, with adults at £5 per day and littleuns at £3.
Fire wood is £5 per load, any idea on how much you get and how long it lasts?
If any one has been, was it worth it?

Edit: I see from the site that they now have mains water so no dipping in the river. Also are hammocks allowed? the site seems to suggest that tents are the way to go, kipping on the floor is not for me :)
Thank you!

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi Michelle,

There are a few write ups about the place is you do a search.

I went last autumn and the site is very good. Can be difficult to find the gate if arriving after dark though. lol

Yes there is mains water from a tap near the gate.

We had hammocks up in one of the pitches, about half way down on the right hand side of the track when you go in, but im not sure if there are any other pitches with the trees a good distance apart as I know he was thinning it out - but was going to keep the four trees we were using.

Wood, there was a massive heap of hardwood when we went it was £5 for a wheelbarrow full. It lasts as long as it burns for which will depend on the size and lay of the fire. If you have it burning fully for 24hours for a weekend you will most likely need a couple of wheelbarrows full, if you just keep it smouldering with a couple of bigger logs and build it up just to cook on then 1 will likely surfice.

We also rented his canoe for the day and went for a paddle along the Wye. He dropped us off down the road and we paddle back downstream to a pub where he picked us up again.

Very much a nice place to visit. We will be going back later this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE