X-Frame Ultralight Sleeping Pad H

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Turistas

Member
Mar 21, 2014
18
0
London/Kent
Hi,
next my stuff will be sleeping mat, which better to winter?
1. from foam (roll up)
2. self inflating
3. X- frame
4. foil sleep mat
5. or just simple from PVC inflating ( you can see this in beach)

I looking for ultralight and small when is fold.
My concern is in winter night air inside mat will be cold,and moisture inside the mat, and can feel cold from the ground. Any advise?
 
Last edited:
I've always used thermarest self inflating mats. I have a full length trail-lite for winter and 3/4 length prolite for summer. I also tend to carry a cut down foam mat year round as a seat and to bolster my insulation. The thing consider when buying is a mats 'R' value, this is a measure of its warmth.
 
Dump ups sorry is not my language( and I dint use translator)
I want to say moisture
:)))

Hey no problem, lost in translation :). Yes air core mats can get cold if they have no insulation. Things are getting better though. The thermarest neoair and xtherm ranges have lots of reflective layers and stay really warm even in winter and are lightweight and packable.

I think the xframe would need to be used with second layer of insulation like a thin ccf mat.

Exped range do some lightweight options and these mats have insulation built in. Some are synthetc and others are goose down.
 
Hi,
next my stuff will be sleeping mat, which better to winter?
1. from foam (roll up)
2. self inflating
3. X- frame
4. foil sleep mat
5. or just simple from PVC inflating ( you can see this in beach)

I looking for ultralight and small when is fold.
My concern is in winter night air inside mat will be cold,and moisture inside the mat, and can feel cold from the ground. Any advise?

None of the above.

I would highly recommend a Thermarest NeoAir. Either the standard or the Xtherm for better heat retention.

It packs down small, is light and VERY comfortable. The X-frame will be lighter/more compact but wont be as comfortable or have as good heat retention.

The self-inflating/CCF etc mats do not pack down well and are uncomfortable so if its a combination of light/compactness/weight and heat retention you want I would go for a Thermarest NeoAir or Xtherm.

With regards to your cold air/moisture concern you're incorrect. The air actually acts as a barrier/insulation from ground and you do not get moisture unless of course you do not use a ground sheet which would be stupid anyway.

I have a NeoAir but will be upgrading to the Xtherm at some point and from what I have heard its very effective and highly recommended.
 
Last edited:
I doubt i'd ever use my X-frame in winter. It does pack very small and is very light but you'll probably need a good amount of additional mats/foil/insulation to keep you warm and comfortable, by which time you may as well have just taken a slightly warmer (and heavier) sleeping mat with you in the first place.

If your heart is set on the X-frame pad try and find a store which has them in stock to go and try one first, they're not for everyone, especially if you sleep on your side a lot.


Matt
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE