Wouldn't it be nice to be able to ... ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I wish that I could look at a map and really SEE the contours.

Like some people can look at sheet music and hear the song, for some people (like HWMBO :ekt:) contours just jump out to them like a relief map. For me it's murder sorting out what's going up and what's going down - especially when the numbers are off the page! :banghead:

What skills do you wish you have??

(Add yours to the ultimate bushcraft skills wishing list!)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'd like to be better at tree recognition and remembering edible/useful plants. I guess its a matter of practice, the desire certainly is there so that's half the battle. I find it a hard subject to learn from books as there is always a nagging doubt as to if what I'm looking at is really the same as the picture in the book.

Dave

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not realy a bushcraft skill, but I'd like the ability to charm farmers and landowners.... I'm not bad, but still get quite a few 'No thank you not here please'

;-)
Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Womble said:
Kath said:
I wish that I could look at a map and really SEE the contours.

You could always get the software available from Memory Map or Anquet; they both have 3D rendering of OS data!

Like this ...

I'm a bit of a map geek! :lol:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
MartiniDave said:
I'd like to be better at tree recognition and remembering edible/useful plants.
Yeah I know what you mean!

We used to have nature walks in school every other day. Had a great headmaster who considered it essential knowledge for children and so we had to know all the birds, birdsongs, trees, wildflowers, poisonous plants and quite a few of the therapeutic ones too. But sadly I've forgotten most of it with lack of use. It's hard to get this knowledge back and of course people like my old teacher were a dying breed, so it's hard to find someone to teach me ... again! :oops:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Adi,
Walked there not long ago, nice spot. And as I saw from your snowy pics, so did you! Nice to have snowdonia on your doorstep eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE