Would any one like a swamprat howler?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
After over a year of owner ship I think, I have finally decided that I pretty much hate my howler, I just don't like the non primitive of it.
I would like to trade for another usable knife, possibly F1 or F2
I would also consider other natural material handled knives.
I have to admit I love the choil for carving work but thats it, it has been used rarely, as I always prefered my khukuri.

The black crinkle coat finish is barely worn, just smoother in places.
The hand made sheath has a few dent lines in it.
Here are a few pics of it, fairly old pics but you can see what your getting.

06EP57ML6154

You can see the sheath has a slight canting and designed to be worn on the right side, It also has a choil cut out, be carefull when removing blade, but this acts as a decend wood end shaver. As seen here.

p.jpeg

You can also see here the wood used as the sheath holes were made.

p.jpeg

That pile of shavings was made in about a minute from the same wood, though it was soft wood.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

This pile of shavings from same choil method was from mahogony.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Hope you don't mind the many pics but I have them so I might as well use them.....

I am not sure if theres anything else I want other than a small utility blade, or camp blade like the F1 etc.

Let me know

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I thought that company only made tactical knives (or muder weapons, as I prefer to call them), but that looks like a perfectly decent, simple knife. Remember that even a natural handled knife will almost certainly be held together with some pretty toxic epoxy, the wood will have been shipped using fossil fuel powered vehicles, etc. Quite a few people have switched the handle on a mora for a wooden one to make it more bushcrafty, but threw a perfectly functional plastic handle and sheath in landfill to do it. The primitives would've loved your knife, I'm sure, but if it genuinly irritates you, swapping it makes sense.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Man, I would swap for that fast...if I had anything you would want :( The only thing I have that might suit needs some more handle shaping :rolleyes:

I am a bit puzzled why you don't like the Swamp Rat as being too modern/non-primitive, and yet a VG10 bladed, thermorun handled Fallkniven isn't a problem :confused: I can see why you would want to try something new, just not for that reason.

Hope you find someone willing to swap. I have a Bog Dog and though I am not carrying it much now it is only because I have been trying an Allan Blade Freelander. Swamp Rats may not be pretty, but they do make sharp steel.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Mmmmmmmmmmmm the precious thing is mine, mine,mine! :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
philaw said:
...tactical knives (or muder weapons, as I prefer to call them),

I have several tactical knives. If they are murder weapons, then mine must be defective as they haven't killed anyone.

Comments like yours are not helpful.

maximus otter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE