Working with Antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I was recently lucky enough to acquire a small Roe deer antler, found by one of my dog walking friends in a local park. It isn't big enough to make a whole knife handle, so I intend to cut it up to make bolsters and spacers for various handling projects. However, I have never worked with antler before, so I am seeking advice on how to work it and how to finish it, and any other things that I should bear in mind before I start.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Antler has a hard outer layer and a softer marrow like inner, which is a dark brown/black In Colour, it is easy to saw up with a hack saw, and I made plent do nice things with it from catapults, pace beads and buttons. It's easy enough to make the holes with an awl and a hammer, so great for knife bolsters. You can carve the outer with a sharp knife, so you can bevel the edges etc. You can sand it easily on the rough ends where it has been cut, and the antler already has a lovely smooth outer. It's a great material to work with, I love it! Good luck with your projects mate, hope this helps! :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Works really well with files & sandpaper, it is relatively easy to get a good finish working your way through the grits. If you have a belt grinder then wear a mask as the dust isn't good for you, and it does stink a bit as well. Good luck !

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for the tips! I do seem to vaguely remember reading something about the dust being bad for you, so a dust mask it is, even though I shall be going easy with hand tools.

Needless to say that I will post some pictures as and when I complete the projects that are in the works.
Thanks again!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Best to do any cutting and sanding of antler outdoors. The dust gets everywhere, is orrible and stinks. Same as buffalo horn.
I take my belt sander outside and clamp it to a garden table. Its even more orrbile when sanding buffalo horn and yew at the same time!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Agree with the comments about dust and stink, but more importantly I found antler easy to work but easy to damage too. So have a care with the vice and try not to chip or scratch that essential bit!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Virtually all wood and horn dust is bad for you so always wear a respirator when sanding filing or creating any dust that you breath in indoors or outdoors.

I would suggest avoid oiling antler though. treat it very much like wood when shaping and finishing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE