Work coat pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've been after a light coat / work jacket for a while and can't seem to find anything suitable locally. I've seen a few online but I find sizing is always a gamble.

So, my OH has offered to make something and suggested the following pattern: https://merchantandmills.com/store/patterns/pdf/the-foreman/

The green and the brown woollen examples look sort of what I'm after. Just curious to see if anyone can suggest any other patterns? This one does look a little shirt like and a more jackety pattern may be better, although this one could be modified.

Here's a photo of the green jacket example:

DSF7040.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've been looking at these too

Chore coat/engineers coat brings up loads of US styles

this is one i'd be interested in

Wellen Stretch Chore Coat

strech coar.jpg

Reactions: santaman2000

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Interesting, thanks. It looks a bit shorter than the foreman jackets and I like the length to cover my back.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It looks very similar to the Bleus de Travail worn by workers in France over the last couple of centuries. Good, practical workwear that gets better with age and use.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
It looks very similar to the Bleus de Travail worn by workers in France over the last couple of centuries. Good, practical workwear that gets better with age and use.

indeed if only they came in another colour than blue...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
There are also a few variations of the Swedish army jackets made between the 50s and the 70's that are similar

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've got a Swedish army jacket although it's a bit on the small side across the shoulders. Another reason to try making something.

The Bleus de Travail looks good, don't mind the blue as long as no one thinks I'm French.

I think we'll order the pattern and see how we get on.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
indeed if only they came in another colour than blue...

But they do! There are also les blancs de travail, worn by kitchen staff, bakers and so on and les bruns de travail worn by those in the engineering professions. Sadly, though, no verts de travail - maybe because for most of us, it's a pastime rather than 'travail'...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
But they do! There are also les blancs de travail, worn by kitchen staff, bakers and so on and les bruns de travail worn by those in the engineering professions. Sadly, though, no verts de travail - maybe because for most of us, it's a pastime rather than 'travail'...

les bruns de travail would work for me but google finds me nothing?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I might be worth have a look at/for Le Laboureur clothing. They produce a line of superb, traditional mostly workwear in the 'French style'. I'm not sure if they produce 'les bruns' but I have some of their 'bleus' and they are wonderful.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I might be worth have a look at/for Le Laboureur clothing. They produce a line of superb, traditional mostly workwear in the 'French style'. I'm not sure if they produce 'les bruns' but I have some of their 'bleus' and they are wonderful.

look the right sort of thing but seem a bit spendy

I'd have picket up something from these guys

WolfVintageClothing

if they'd had them in the right colour

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE