Woolpower Jacket 600 questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
Hi!
Yesterday I got my new Woolpower Full Zip Jacket 600 size Medium and I was astonished about the rather thin fabric, compared to the 400 Jacket and the 600 socks that I also use. I put both jackets onto my scale and the weight of the 400 is 612 grams and the 600 is 767 grams, but I had my dear wife remove a big chunk of the butt flap on the 400 jacket, as it coming early down to midthigh. So I also put a pair of 400 weight socks on the scale to make up for the loss and these are 77 grams.

Also, compared to the socks, the touch and feel of the jackets are nearly the same, given that the 400 has been washed before and the 600 is new... If you compare the 400 and 600 socks, there is a substantial difference in weight and thickness that I do not note in the jackets.

Also, the tags say the same about the material (400: 69% merino, 29% poyamide, 2% elastan, 600: 70% merino, 28% polyamide, 2% elastan) while their website states the material of the 600 with 70% merino and 30% polyamide.

I also put the socks on the scale and the 400 come at 77 grams but the 600 come with 122 grams, same size...

So, does anybody here own the same jackets and can give me a weight for the size Medium or can offer some explanation? Or did something go wrong in the mill?

Kind regards,
Heinz

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i have both in xxl. 964g for the 600 and 660g for the 400. numbers relate to the weight of the cloth used per m2 so 600 should be approx 1/3 heavier than the 400 which is pretty much what my numbers show. I dont class either of them as a jacket, more mid layers.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
Thank you for your input and Paul for the numbers. What is your impression, is the fabric of the 600 significantly heavier than the 400?

I did write to Woolpower a few minutes ago and I am keen to get their answer...

ATB Heinz

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
its not significantly thicker as the extra 200 grams over a m2 is not a lot of extra thickness but i do find it much warmer than the 400. i wear both together if its really cold over a 200 base and i am very hot :)

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
So I guess it will be ok, interested in the reaction of Woolpower though. I will try it out as soon as possible to learn it it is much warmer than the 400. IMHO it is a really great system especially with the new Woolpower lite as a base layer...

ATB Heinz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE