wool blanket

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I dyed a cream one, I used olive green, it didn't take well so I then used forest brown. It came out a decent colour but a bit on the light side. If I did it again I'd skip the machine wash dye and use hand dye and give it a good long soak and use a dye darker than what I want to achieve...This is just my experience, I'm sure others have had better results. you can get some crazy colours with natural dyes but that's beyond me!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Similar experience here too,
Used a cream coloured woolen blanket, took daughters advice on colours ( one and only time! :eek:) looking to dye mine a light brown, opted for the Dylon Terracotta - well after one dye application it came out pink and after two its kind of orangey-pinky-very light brown. Next on the list will be a chocolate brown to cover it all up and get the colour I wanted in the first place. I looked at hand dyes, mine said to heat to 95 degrees and agitate to distribute the dye - which sounds ominously close to the felting process - and I didn't want it to shrink!

ATB

Ogri the trog

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Maybe I should have mentioned I had already done a hot wash on mine to shrink it and tighten the fibres. Even though it had probably been washed hundreds of times before it did shrink so temps are something to consider if you don't want that. Good point Ogri!

I used Dylon as well, the two dyes cost twice what the blanket and materials cost me in the end! I did manage to make a decent coat for about £12 so I'm not complaining. Maybe natural dyes are the way forward, seemed a lot of hassle to me at the time though...:confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used Dylon cold water dye with a vinegar fix.
We only have a 1/2 size washing machine so no way would it take a double bed size blanket..... I used my canoe barrel!
Use twice the amount of dye you think you may need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE