Woodspirit incence holder (pic heavy)

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Done some more carving, since I couldn't get onto the site :)

Woodspirit008.jpg

Woodspirit007.jpg

Woodspirit006.jpg

Top one from a section of coppiced Hazel I rescued from a friends farm, the bottom one is a length of Lime I bought for carving figures.

What have you made while the site was down?

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
:D Thanks Hoodoo. I'd just bought some incence sticks, got home and realised I didn't have a holder for them. I looked at the woodspirits I'd been carving and thought "Well, why not?"

Only problem I had was with the Hazel one, the wood was a little spalted and I couldn't get the detail in the eyes I wanted. I was really pleased to see it in action though :)

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Incidentally, got a stave ready for carving now, about 5ft tall and with a little spalting. Does anyone know of a timber treatment I can use to stop rot which won't change the look of the wood too much? The stave is much too good to throw because of a little spalting

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a great bit of work Rafe, well done fella

When are you going into production, I'll take a Lime one off you ?

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Incidentally, got a stave ready for carving now, about 5ft tall and with a little spalting. Does anyone know of a timber treatment I can use to stop rot which won't change the look of the wood too much? The stave is much too good to throw because of a little spalting

Once the wood is dry it will not rot, the fungi that eat the wood need a fare bit of moisture in the wood to live. So just make sure it is dry and do not worry if it gets wet again, just do not leave it wet for weeks on end.
If the spalting has made small spongy bits in the wood then superglue will soak in well or there are other resin wood hardeners you can use. I personally would just work around any soft spots.
Great carving!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE