Woodland nights.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Tuesday, and a biting Easterly wind and even the shelter that I normally find in my wood seemed to be absent. The old locals say " that's straight from Russia that wind" and I'm sure they're right. That small hard icy snow/sleet that hurts was driving in the wind when i set up in my usual camping spot..It made a strange ticking noise as it struck the tent fabric..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012001.jpg
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012003.jpg
..Tent up and fire going and a cheap 'key ring' thermometer showed -2 and I knew the night would be a little more chilly.
Wednesday I spent just checking the wood out and deciding that the recent gales had left a little tidying up to do..
003-7.jpg
..There's a fair amount of dead standing and fallen trees to support the life cycle of the wood, it's insects and birds so in order that it doesn't just become a tangled wilderness out come the axe and bow saw...I saw -6 Celcius late Wednesday night and the wood crackled in the frost under the moonlight, and even the Tawny Owls ceased their gossiping early.
The stream was frozen..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012021.jpg
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012022.jpg
..and the Deer sign showed clearly in the frozen soil..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012010.jpg
.. My Grandaughter (22) has named this The Elves Bridge..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012012.jpg
..Which is fair enough as no self respecting Elf would get their feet wet crossing the stream I'm sure..another photo of the bridge in the distance from further down near the stream..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012006.jpg

The Woodpeckers are busy as this fallen branch shows with it's line of neatly drilled holes..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012017.jpg

There is plenty of interest within the wood..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012005.jpg
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012020.jpg
005-6.jpg
..Just one of many 'doors' in a massive Badger Sett..
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012016.jpg

Back on my boat now after 4 nights in the wood and I see snow is forecast, but I'm pleased to tell you that before I left the wood I checked that the Elves had been doing their planting for the Spring and all appears to be in order...
GreenwoodJan-Feb2012008.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great way to spend a few days out :D The photos are great; almost smell that leaf litter :)

Thank you for sharing :cool:

cheers,
M

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Great photos and written word there, I almost wish i could stake out the bridge to see the elves crossing myself - I know my daughter would be up for it : )

Thanks very much for sharing

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE