Wooden Sheath

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi all,

I am looking to make a sheath for my knife, it will be the first time I have ever done this and im thinking of making it out of wood. Any ideas on how to do this or just any tips in general would be greatly appreciated. ?

thanks in advance. :D

Bushcraftsman

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hi all,

I am looking to make a sheath for my knife, it will be the first time I have ever done this and im thinking of making it out of wood. Any ideas on how to do this or just any tips in general would be greatly appreciated. ?

thanks in advance. :D

Bushcraftsman

Hullo there, BCM.
IIRC, then have a butchers at Old Jimbo's site.
There are several examples shown.....and pretty neat too.

Ceeg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've made one before with leather on the top, I looked into two ways of doing it, the first way would be to use two pieces of wood with a section carved out for the blade then stuck together, the second to drill out the middle of a single piece of wood wide enough for the blade. I opted for the second way.

100_4921.jpg

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
If i was to do the first method you suggested,

"pieces of wood with a section carved out for the blade then stuck together"

how would you stick the two pieces together, surely it's not as simple as glue?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If i was to do the first method you suggested,

"pieces of wood with a section carved out for the blade then stuck together"

how would you stick the two pieces together, surely it's not as simple as glue?

Why not… glue? The two halves of my wooden sheath are glued together, the wrapping of leather, is also held on with glue, the linen thread is there as decoration. Ok it’s not taken much of a battering as I only use it as a camp knife, but the sheath is a clean looking and tight fitting as the day I made it. (Feb 2007)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just get mine in the local hardwear shop......bison do a good expanding poly, araldite is fine as an epoxy - you could even use white wood glue ("stronger than the wood") from Focus.
Be sparing with any glue as ,if it gets a blob inside a tight fitting cut out for the blade the blade will not fit! - from experience. Exppanding poly can be crushed into submition if this happens - ram the knife in and out several times - but epoxy - start again!

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
get some epoxy from workshopheaven( google them) under adhesives.

devcon 24 is my personal favourite, if you're worried about it that much, try gluing it together and then drilling and adding a few pins, these will help with strength and give some nice decoration to boot

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would cut the wood down the centre line and cut out the the shape of the blade on one half and glueu the two halfs together then shape the wood with a couple of grooves around the top section to friction hold the the leather on. The one I made had the leather wet formed onto the wood/horn section and required no glue.Nietehr does teh belt loop require stitching or glue.

fifthknife6.jpg
[/IMG]

fifthknife7.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE