Woodcraft

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Has anyone got any good websites for ideas on woodcrafting? Id like to get into the hobby as its always something ive fancied, plus im a carpenters apprentice :p

Any ideas or anything someone can set me off with?

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Maybee a Bow (and arrow) ??
Good idea. Look in the primative archery section of PaleoPlanet - there's more inspiration and info there on making bows than you'll ever need. Alternatively, several of our sponsors run courses in bow making - look up Forest Knights or Dave Budd for starters.

That said, PP also has info and inspiration on making musical instruments, atlatls, woodworking handtools ... Enough to keep you reading for an evening or so ;-)

Peter

Last edited:

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
That bird is amazing, thanks for that idea Elines im gonna have a blast at that, and a bow. That should keep me occupied. Need to go and find the wood now.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Need to go and find the wood now.

For the bow, if you can't find good straight grained hardwood boards, go look for an Ash sapling with a good straight clean section about 2m long and about 75mm, preferably 100mm diameter and ... acquire it ... however you see fit ... errrm.

Once you've acquired your sapling, seal the end grain with varnish or PVA or somesuch, strip the bark and split it down the middle. The side where the bark was is the back of the bow (furthest away from you as you shoot it) - do not touch this side and try to make sure that you don't damage this wood as you remove the bark. Put the stripped, split stave somewhere flat, cool and dry for a few weeks to begin to season - alternative begin to rough out the bow shape, leaving at least 1cm extra thickness and width for now. Do not try to bend it at this point - just put it somewhere cool and dry to lose moisture.

After the wood has stopped losing moisture (I weigh mine every week or two - when it's not lost any weight in a week, you're good to go), You can start to tiller the bow - best to read up either on PP or go borrow the Traditional Bowyers Bible (ideally volumes 1 & 4) from your library (if they haven't closed it yet) for details.

Peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE