Woodcraft and Camping – B.Mason – 2018 reprint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’ve been looking for a decent copy of the original printing of this book for a while; I first borrowed it from the library when I was a teenager but tidy copies are fetching £70+

When Kepis showed us his ’Indian Spoons’ and a photo taken from the book it rekindled my desire. I found that the book has been reprinted last year (2018) and priced at £16. It says ‘2018 Reprint of 1939 Edition. Full facsimile of the original edition, not reproduced with Optical Recognition software’. However, as I have said before I have been very disappointed in reproductions of older books.

So, I decided to take one for the team and see what it was like. :)

In summary, I am very pleased. The writing is clear and legible, the drawings are also clear and look as I remember them in the original with no detail missing. The photograph reproductions are poor but discernible and not really necessary to enjoy the book (I seem to remember they’re not brilliant in the original editions). The pages are all printed straight with no distortion (some repro books I have they are not!).

I’ll continue to look out for a 1939 edition but at least I have a ‘working’ copy for now :)

Here’s the same page as Kepis reproduced – it has exactly the same layout and page numbering.

book - page 298 - 2048 - 25.jpg

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Who is the publisher and what is the ISBN, please. Have you searched abeBooks.uk yet?

The other volume that's been reprinted from 1945 is "Wildwood Wisdom" by Ellsworth Jaeger.
I can't quote the ISBN as I'm on the road for another week.
EJ was an authority on eastern paleo First Nations materials and a big museum director.

The birchbark folding chapter might frustrate you since the birch species in the UK
is nowhere near as pliable as Betula papyrifera in North America.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Broch. I have a smallish library of 2,000+ titles. I'm always after old books illustrating paleo holdings.
I seem to have accumulated enough of those to be used as references for modern jewelry design.

I found a used book store that has been buying up estate sales.
Gold mine and the owner knows what I'll always buy.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Glad to hear its a good repro, i was thinking of getting a copy to save my original.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE