Wood stove chimney-mounted water boiler - insights?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Greetings all.
I have a Robens Kobuk stove for my tipi tent and am very pleased with it.
I'm considering buying a water heater that wraps round the flue/chimney as a way to free up stove space for cooking as I'm finding that a kettle and a pan are all I can safely fit on top.
Does anyone have one?
How well does it work?
There are 2 and 3 litre versions - which is recommended?
Any drawbacks?
Any information gratefully received as I don't want to waste money.
Over to you, BCUK.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I missed this, and as you haven't had any replies I thought I'd give you my experience.
I don't have your particular stove, but I do have a tent stove and water heater similar to the robens.
My brain cell wont recall the make of my stove . I'll think of it at some point and insert the make later.
I have used the water heater several times and it heats the water fine, working very much like a kelly kettle. I have to swing it off the stove to operate the tap though or stop it boiling so much. Its flipping hot, so some form of hand protection is needed to do that.
I like it even though it takes up some stovetop space, I can still get a couple of small pans on the top at the same time.
2 litres is plenty big enough for me. Enough for a couple of cups of tea and some washing up water.
Edit
Anevay frontier stove ! I knew I'd remember as soon as I had hit the post button!:)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I clearly missed this one as well. It may well be too late, but I have that same stove and the Robens wrap-around kettle to go with it. I think it works well. I did have to put in some plumbers tape to fix the drip it came with, but that was hardly a problem. All in all I'd say it's worth getting.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Great! Thanks for your replies - both much appreciated. I've chosen a boiler and am hoping it's all that I hoped for.
ATB

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
The one that I had didn't last very long before the tap on it snapped off.... I also found if the stove is running hot the water gets boiled off very quickly indeed. Nice at first, but I soon got fed up with it and when the tap broke, i didn't buy a replacement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE