Wood spirit walking stick

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I got round to having a go at carving my walking stick today, I've had the stick for some time now stored away in the shed at work. With me being off work I thought I would have a go.

Its a Hazel stick carved with a wood spirit at the top I still need to drill a hole for some cord to attach to it just under the carving, I might even wet mould a leather grip yet but I am unsure, any ideas would be welcome.

ws3.jpg

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

rancid badger

Yes, I like that;)
The wet formed leather idea sounds pretty good or you could always make up some natural cord? definitely recommend honeysuckle bark for that job, failing that, try Wych Elm bark, very tough and (in season) really easy to process:)
well done mate
cheers
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice, very nice :approve:

You know the old glass teddy bear eyes ? the ones that came joined together with wire ? My father cut a pair of them apart and used the short cut wires like pins to fasten them into his walking stick. He did it on a suitably 'interesting' looking bump; it was the weirdest thing, we would swear that damned stick watched us :rolleyes: :D

atb,
Toddy

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks for the comments guys and gals, I used a small set of chip carvers to do the carving, had them years found them in one of my man cupboards the other day. Toddy that eye stick sounds cool but scary.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Yes, I like that;)
The wet formed leather idea sounds pretty good or you could always make up some natural cord? definitely recommend honeysuckle bark for that job, failing that, try Wych Elm bark, very tough and (in season) really easy to process:)
well done mate
cheers
R.B.

Cheers Steve, natural sounds like a plan, just need to get messen out and make some.

All the best.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers Alf, I've been varnishing him this weekend I'll get some pics up when I've finished the lanyard and grip.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very nice carving, Soar. :) When I made my stick, I tightly wrapped a 20mm strip of leather, it was moose, starting at the top going down, that made a ridge spiraling downwards and made it pretty non-slip. I tacked it top and bottom with a cut copper tack, and it has not moved at all since. What's the diameter of your stick, as a matter of interest?

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
Very nice carving, Soar. :) When I made my stick, I tightly wrapped a 20mm strip of leather, it was moose, starting at the top going down, that made a ridge spiraling downwards and made it pretty non-slip. I tacked it top and bottom with a cut copper tack, and it has not moved at all since. What's the diameter of your stick, as a matter of interest?

Are you aloud to ask the size of another man's stick :yikes: LOL !!

Great carving SOAR. I am trying to bit myself, early days yet. Flexcut do a very nice pocket knife a bit like a SAK but with whittling/carving blades on it. Razor sharp it is too. :eek: It's called a FLEXCUT "Carvin' Jack"

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire

Cheers Jojo, About 30mm at the top 25mm the bottom. Oh er! LOL

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Are you aloud to ask the size of another man's stick :yikes: LOL !!

Great carving SOAR. I am trying to bit myself, early days yet. Flexcut do a very nice pocket knife a bit like a SAK but with whittling/carving blades on it. Razor sharp it is too. :eek: It's called a FLEXCUT "Carvin' Jack"

Cheers, a bit cheeky LOL.
I've seen these Flexcut carvin jacks, Singeblister and PJ have em, they do look good, very sharp like you say, bit pricey though, but I suppose once you've got one it'll last for years.

Shewie Cracking job Simon

Cheers Rich, let me know how you get on with those Chestnut Burrs when you get em.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE