wood signs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
2acc7659b6b3c521fdb081b67356a980.jpg

well I fancied trying to produce something like this. It should not be too difficult. I may even experiment with carved or branded lettering (but I am getting a little ahead of myself there)

but I would like some advice on wood choice. Free would is best. what type of wood are pallets made from would that be suitable or is it too course. Could I find suitable dead fall if so what should I look for. I do live near the coast so drift wood may be an option but good drift wood is hard to find as a lot of people collect it

if anyone has any tips for me I'm all ears

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If you can get free pallet wood then be aware of the dangers, as some pallets are treated with chemical preservatives, which can make the dust from cutting and sanding very toxic. But with simple precautions it should be fine for your intended use (but I wouldn't use pallet wood for any food contact surfaces).

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
If you can get free pallet wood then be aware of the dangers, as some pallets are treated with chemical preservatives, which can make the dust from cutting and sanding very toxic. But with simple precautions it should be fine for your intended use (but I wouldn't use pallet wood for any food contact surfaces).

Thanks I did not know that

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Find a timber mill near you and get some "slab wood" from them; it's the stuff that comes from the logs they mill and which is not big enough to be commercially viable. To them it is a waste product and I've had some lovely bits of various woods this way. The best thing, from your point of view, is that it will already be flat milled and smooth enough to work.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Have a look in skips for old floorboards or the like, you can often find nail free lengths suitable for signs.
I made this one last year, my first attempt at sign carving, well worth having a go at it whether carved or pyrography or painted designs.

nB3T5_E7RDqwRYqQlzVtviN9ISqgPeFDl4osHckJWl9qQQC3sNp8Q2imDYBhvd5OL7JOS5250kjOfgjKn7nH7rYDQzOz5rZjY_RXgftZ-2pkTlUXG6PfHTGjz37lNpDHcXQRbNeARDkRpQsoKILgY_obc54ygbBr-Jv2qbF3g4HMPAUToljeNTHgIaaUdPB9r1CeLBfQoRTKEnhdZg6U4qGviR6-vhLIoKI6z5T4Hi-886ycqvwLIVrY_b6PECRCzEsQMlOzJeUTo-RGe_jdX5VnalSO2UNgJYV89bD7777FX4Qp0Q3gXjr7c-dNk_G5ZHzBNofuJf35tfUhNdVG_YVKRR-8Q0PnV1qOguJoIojFjamz_8aFSaWwTvZUnjXrw-YPAZfw3NmV2un3tfSboBpdepdFgIsAQw9fzdqTJwOvezH3IA5qSVKrLoLE56CoFQyVI53isvAbPriXCKKXEPGrtSYMlMo9_ExtWCvIt54bBlcdS6Ql5l-QVNIlxDisM7Lu7dy5x_poKdwdsuEPdLdrZuHo5UCiSzr8ruOEvuPN5T58zqkct1fuOtBmW1S95sWM=w800-h162-no

I printed off the lettering on the computer and taped it to the wood to get spacing right, cutting the letters out left an imprint on the wood to follow.
Rob.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Pallets are often made of Poplar which is a very soft wood and easy to carve. I think it would make a great starting point if you choose to go down the carving route. You can get some very nice results just using the combination of 2 chip carving knives, rather than all the different shaped gouges that the professionals use.

To find the Poplar pallets look for a white or grey coloured wood, with faint and widely spaced grain. It may be less splintery looking than other pallet woods and often has flecks of green or pink from fungal attack. It would not cope well with being left outdoors without being treated but would be fine indoors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE