Wood haul & Tree confirmation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, everyone. Bushwackerbob was kind enough to drive down to my house and drop off quite a load of wood for me to carve. He also gave me a spare crook knife and a strop too. So I've got Willow, Sycamore, Ash and Birch. Now, I've no doubt the labeling is correct, but I'm curious because to my novice eyes it looks like the bark of Sycamore belongs to that of Ash, perhaps because of those grey splodges. I believe I've seen similar splodges on Ash, but perhaps that doesn't only occur on Ash but on other species. But at the same time I don't think I've ever seen Ash bark as green as the picture below. By no means am I trying to say Sean is wrong, it's just for my education. Care to clear it up?

Collection:
8Aa9w80.jpg

Possible label mix up between ash and sycamore?
Ash:
1aM4ZOK.jpg

I thought ash was grey and furrowed. It doesn't look like ash to me because it's not grey. Confusing.

Sycamore (It reads Sycamore. I can't figure out why it's upside down):
tWxUFoH.jpg

Also, now that its Spring time I'd also like some confirmation on whether or not I have two young Sycamore trees in my Garden. And an Ash, too, but I'm fairly certain of that.

Sycamore 1?
bfbMIjo.jpg

dnYmExM.jpg

Sycamore 2?
HHCVdcZ.jpg

TMmGkpB.jpg

Ash?
tZa6xbQ.jpg

gZTiIJQ.jpg

Again, thanks for the haul and the tool, Bushwacker.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ash can be smooth barked in it's formative years and then slowly develops the cracking and fissures of a mature tree.

I'd say Bob's ID was spot on looking at those barks :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Ash can be smooth barked in it's formative years and then slowly develops the cracking and fissures of a mature tree.

I'd say Bob's ID was spot on looking at those barks :)
I don't doubt him, it's just my confused novice analysis that's getting muddled up.

Do you reckon they're two Sycamores in my garden?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I can assure you they are correctly labeled, but I had the advantage of seeing the rest of the trees. As far as bark id goes in the woodland the Ash have a green/grey hue whereas the bark of sycamore has a more reddish appearance. On young, short sections they have a similar textures and colour but if you saw whole trunks side by side you would notice the difference. On older trees the sycamores stay smooth whereas the ash develops fissures.

The top picture of the tree is sycamore, the bottom picture with black buds and pinnate leaves is an ash.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE