Wood gas LE has anyone else purchased one?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these?
http://www.woodgasstove.co.uk/

I purchased the "LE" last year for fishing,( on the assumption no fuel needed purchasing) works great, puts out some incredible heat but its awkward when others complained about smoke drifting toward them. lmao dont know whats the matter with them..

I see there appears to be alot of home made versions (I made one before buying the "real deal" and believe me the fan makes incredible difference.

I'd like to add im not anythig to do with the site just a happy customer.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these?
http://www.woodgasstove.co.uk/
works great, puts out some incredible heat but its awkward when others complained about smoke drifting toward them. lmao dont know whats the matter with them..

I should have added, they only cause smoke when you first light your fire before you turn the fan on, but for some people thats enough cause to complain.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have one of these (the XL version).

I've had it about 4 years now, and it was bought direct from Stenton in the States. As you say, it works brilliantly (I have a solar panel for the fan). The enclosed firebox makes it immune to the wind, and the fan gets it blazing almost instantaneously, with hardly any smoke.

You must fish with some very fussy folk, if they are complaining abut the smoke.

Graham

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
The complaint usually comes from a concerned person who has actually read the rules.. in particular the one that says "No fires"
I end up with a visit from a bailiff to enforce the rule, then they realise its a proper shop purchased cooker, the conversation usually turns to "thats cool where can I get one". On the odd occasion I have been asked to not use it, then the discussion turns to will you now go and prevent every other person using gas or liquid fuel as they all have a flame by burning fuel = fire? kinda get's em on the moody side but have not been kicked off a venue yet!
I dont use it all the time just places where i know theres plenty of fuel laying around.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
That makes more sense than complaining about the smell of smoke, and its good to see that most baliffs can distinguish between a large open fire and a fire in a firebox, but...

On the odd occasion I have been asked to not use it, then the discussion turns to will you now go and prevent every other person using gas or liquid fuel as they all have a flame by burning fuel = fire?.

Liquid fuel stoves, don't tend to have sparks flying off them or hot ashes at the end of the day that need to be dealt with, so unfortunately even though there is a risk of a liquid fuelled stove starting a fire, the risk is probably much lower than a wood fuelled fire, so regrettably I understand the distinction.

Graham

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Liquid fuel stoves, don't tend to have sparks flying off them or hot ashes at the end of the day that need to be dealt with, so unfortunately even though there is a risk of a liquid fuelled stove starting a fire, the risk is probably much lower than a wood fuelled fire, so regrettably I understand the distinction.

Graham

Thankfully with this style stove, there is not much ash left over, nor a real issue with sparks.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe

I can also appreciate the difference and risk from rouge floating ash. (so far that hasnt been raised as an issue) I wouldnt use this cooker in an area surrounded with bivie's just incase.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Are you using the solar panel to recharge the batteries, or to power the unit itself?

Both, its a battery container that has a solar panel. I don't know exactly how it works, but I assume the solar panels is trickle charging the batteries, while the batteries run the fan.

My original one came with the stove, but packed up fairly quickly and I bought one off Amazon as a replacement.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thankfully with this style stove, there is not much ash left over, nor a real issue with sparks.

Yes, I know, but in general this is still one of the differences between open flames from a liquid/gas fuelled stove and a wood fuelled one.

But the Stenton is as near a "stove" like experience as you can get with a wood burner. I get mine going quicker than I can get my primus running.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I can also appreciate the difference and risk from rouge floating ash. (so far that hasnt been raised as an issue) I wouldnt use this cooker in an area surrounded with bivie's just incase.

Good, I'm glad we agree, but it is still irritating when as a responsible wood burner, you are prevented form using your stove while watching people with barbecues and liquid fuel stoves, in a way that makes them far more dangerous than you wood burning stove would be.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE