wood from the tree of the FIG

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I've been given a nice lump of Fig wood which has really nice figure, difference in colour between heart and sapwood and is really really dense. I have had a couple of handle blanks bandsawn out of it and want to use the leftovers for spoons, butterknives etc. Anyone here got any experience of using it / any knowledge of it's properties.
PS its very hard to do a search on as anything with a picture of wood entitled fig.1b for instance pops up in the search results. I gather that it may be quite aromatic but am interested in first hand experiences.
all the best
Flux

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
There are around 32 species of Fig but the Common Fig is called - Ficus carica - .
If you do a search for this latin name you may have less problems with errant topics.

Scratch that, there must be a gazillion gardening topics on it. Tried second search and got a woodturning site where the consensus of opinion was that
it warped and split too readily to be worth bothering with. Learn something new each day eh! Give it a try though and see if it works out okay for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE