Wood burner stove efficiency info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, I'm thinking of having a wood burner stove fitted but can anyone help me understand the heat out put. For instance 5kw. I understand that its 5 kW of energy etc but is anyone able to help me with a more real life explanation, such as how big a room it will heat etc?

Cheers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi, I'm thinking of having a wood burner stove fitted but can anyone help me understand the heat out put. For instance 5kw. I understand that its 5 kW of energy etc but is anyone able to help me with a more real life explanation, such as how big a room it will heat etc?

Cheers

Maybe a better question to ask is what you want the wood burner for ? heat the WHOLE house ? Then it needs a back boiler and extra gubbins, just one or two rooms? As soon as you go over 5kw You need to have a separate air vent fitted in the room ( IIRC ).

Also , you sure you want a Woodburner and not a Multifuel burner which can burn wood AND smokeless fuel?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Also, not all stoves are created equal.. There are many that might state their output as 5kw, 8kw etc, but some are a lot lower in their efficiency compared to others. Do your research, and you won't go wrong.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
+1 for multi fuel - makes life a lot easier. Worth doing your research as mentioned above - stoves do vary + the small print is worth checking. I particualrly wanted to get a UK made one when I was installing mine. Several claim to be uk made, very few are.

Its also worth considering one of the fans for the top of the stove -. I was initially very sceptical but it has made a massive difference in my cottage http://www.galleonfires.co.uk/eco-f...black-blade/?gclid=CJ24q7DI370CFRDItAodbzMAnA. Lots of other sellers out there - this is just an example for illustration

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There are calculators for the power of radiators needed to heat any size of space - that's transferable to stoves.

However, don't get an 8kW stove and try to run it at 2kW. It won't work well. If you need, say, 4kW to heat a room, get a stove not a lot bigger than that.

This rule doesn't apply to the likes of Agas, since they work more like a heat store than a simple radiant heater.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE