Wood banging sound in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
I am wondering what animal would make a wood banging on a tree type sound it's quite an organised sound, "tap tap tap pause tap" and repeat over and over, I was thinking woodpecker but it sounds more like a 2x2 bit of wood hitting a tree, my main suspect would be a deer? this is around 2/3am most times I hear it.

Any ideas? and it's not bigfoot or Samsquanch. :sigh:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
2-3am, so nocturnal. Badgers...possibly? Have you looked around the area in daylight? Badgers will give fallen trees or even rotting tree stumps a real old bashing to get at any grubs under the dead wood. As you probably know, fallen Silver Birch rot from the inside out and can sound quite hollow, as do other trees, if you hit them with something.
Have a scout round in daylight, if you find trees/stumps that look as if they've starred in the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" film...blame Brock for keeping you awake..
lol-030.gif

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
It is recent started about month ago now, quite remote I own a boat and live on the river from time to time, hear it every year can't remember if it's always this time of year.

Badgers never thought of that, can't really investigate due to it being private land where the sound was coming from, I was moored opposite it on this occasion, but it does seem to happen the more remote I go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE