wonderful caterpillar

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Found this little critter whilst taking down the bell tent this morning. I don't think I've ever seen such a colourful caterpillar, the lower image shows how vibrant it was. Haven't looked it up yet but no doubt someone out there will know what it is:22:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's a moth caterpillar called acronicta aceris and it feeds on sycamores, chestnuts and the like.

cheers,
Toddy

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
what gel does it use? wish my hair would go that spikey! but yes a colourful critter indeed :D this guy in between then the rule doesnt apply to this guy - black on yellow, not a friendly fellow, black on red friend of ted? is that right?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's my bother's fault :rolleyes:
My Dad was having conniption fits about the sheer variety of caterpillars that were munching his tom thumbs one year.....little did he know that the other Toddy (aged all of about seven) had taken himself off over the burn and had been unable to resist bring home one of *every* kind of caterpillar he could find. It was a beautiful shallow loch over from the burn and it was surrounded by the most amazing variety of wildlife and woodlands. Toddy found about fifty different beasties that day, brought them home and let them loose in dad's pristine garden :eek: By the time Dad worked out what they all were, we had gotten pretty good at recognising caterpillars :cool: Forty years later it seems some of it's stuck in the memory :D I remember the name from nicotine yellow :eek:

It's an incredible looking one though, the sycamore, isn't it?

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE