Wistmans Wood Dartmoor camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2010
Lymington
Hi,
Does anyone know if its actually ok to camp in or near the wood as it is suggested by many as a good place when searching for place to camp on Dartmoor but nobody seems to have spent the night there. I have had a look at the map on the national parks web site that shows where you can and cannot camp but cant quite locate the wood . Any help would be fab as planning to go in a couple of months and it would look pretty amazing just as its getting light as long as the hounds dont show up!!
Cheers
Si..

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Man them Hounds!!
Scared the crap out of me once, only heard them mind!!
( just as well, to see them means death!!)
Chris.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/index/visiting/vi-maps.htm?Geoset=DNPA-WEB&AddLayer=DNPA_CAMPING&AddLayer=DNPA_NOCAMP&AddLayer=DNPA_PERMISSION&zoom=50

M856380377-521.gif

Shows Wistmans Woods in green (permission to be asked). I've not heard of anyone getting turfed out before though.

HTH

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I would not camp in Wistman's wood. For a variety of reasons. Including its a SSSi. Ands its the trees that specifically contribute towards it. So no go cutting them down for firewood!! That would be a £30,000 fine. But on a practical level its on a slope and the ground is covered in large boulders making its ruinous to walk on and difficult to camp on. See the piccie in the wiki entry and its a typical terrain of the wood. The trees also are very small and many would not be load-bearing because of the nature of the soil I expect. All in all not an ideal place to camp. If you want a woodland setting then I would not pick central Dartmoor as the place to naturally look I am afraid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wistman's_Wood

LBL

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE