Wire saws...useful or gimmick ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mountain Warehouse are selling Buy one Get one Free, on these just now. They were originally £7 but they have been reduced to £5, so they work out at £2.50 each.

Wire saws....good things or cracker fillings ?

cheers,
M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
How to make your hands sore in one easy step!

Work ok if you have nothing else and are sawing an inch thick bit but anything more and you'll just keel over, they're pretty awful :(.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Might be better spending your hard earned on getting some "Dehorning" wire from your local Countrywide store.

7957.jpg

And some wire handles...
7958.jpg

Not cheap, but usable

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk...t&value=FarmerSmallholderCalfCattleCalfHealth

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think they we're originally designed as part of an escape kit because they can be easily hidden and will cut through more than just wood, albeit slowly.

I recently went on a military survival course and the groups that produced a viable bow saw with a wire saw got issued with a folding pruning saw. The standard issue UK Aircrew survival knife (Victorinox) has a folding saw which although small is of some use - it performs much better than the issue wire saw. I think a wire saw is a better snares than a saw and not worth £2.50

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Pretty much as the others have said, they're pretty terrible, they always get jammed and last about 10 mins in my experience..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you build them into a bowsaw with a stout but springy stick they work fine as they do if you have two people using them - one person on each end.
Otherwise they are hard work and jam!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Christmas cracker fillings then :rolleyes: oh well, it seemed a good idea :)

Thank you for the help :D

Wingstoo, that looks useful stuff, but if it's just the same as the wiresaws.....:dunno:

Howabout we change the thread....Uses for Wire Saws.....and see if anyone can find something 'alternative' to come up with for them :D

Mary

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I think it is a lot stronger than the "normal" wire saws Toddy, and Farmers need to know it works when dehorning a Bull or horned cow or anything else with a head of horn.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Christmas cracker fillings then :rolleyes: oh well, it seemed a good idea :)

Thank you for the help :D

Wingstoo, that looks useful stuff, but if it's just the same as the wiresaws.....:dunno:

Howabout we change the thread....Uses for Wire Saws.....and see if anyone can find something 'alternative' to come up with for them :D

Mary

There's an Eddie Stone video clip which hints at another use for them, and they work so poorly at sawing I presume it was their primary purpose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1VDzqo8T0

Though I guess in a real survival situation you would be grateful to have one, just like having any piece of sharpened metal, even a tops tracker ;)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I had one of those :yikes: that's a brutal bit of kit. Even unfankling it risks shredding fingers. Supposedly worth using if you have two strong men to use it though.
I passed mine along accordingly :D

cheers,
M

p.s.Just had a closer look at your photo; that's a posher bit of kit than the one I had; mine came packed in oily grease and the teeth were 'sharp', viciously sharp.
M

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh I had one of those :yikes: that's a brutal bit of kit. Even unfankling it risks shredding fingers. Supposedly worth using if you have two strong men to use it though.
I passed mine along accordingly :D

cheers,
M

p.s.Just had a closer look at your photo; that's a posher bit of kit than the one I had; mine came packed in oily grease and the teeth were 'sharp', viciously sharp.
M

I suspect you may have had the original Army "trench saw" Mary - its on a different scale to the "pocket chainsaws" - you can see the trench saw at the top and the sabrecut underneath

saws by British Red, on Flickr

I don't have much time for the "pocket chainsaws" - I think more can be achieved with a Laplander which is cheaper and no heavier - a folding bucksaw or even a bucksaw blade works better in my hands too

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I've used the Sabercut saw for cutting up some firewood up to about 8 inch diameter - works fairly well but as above its a lot better when two people are using it then it cuts quite well - with just one person cutting one has to keep one's hands fairly well separated to get good cutting IMO and this tends to get one tired quickly

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The thing is with these type of saws, if you don't use them on a frame to make a bow saw, is that they wrap round the wood so are in contact with a lot more wood at one time than if you were using a flat saw, therefore you need more effort to cut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE