WIP pair of kukri's

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
i hadnt made one of these before and had a largish sheet of 4mm o1 big enough for two profiles so thought id give it a go. a work in progress so will update as i go

profiles ground and drilled ready for heat treat, the holes arnt random, they are for various jigs and gimbles as well as fixings

heating to and holding at 815c for 25 minuted before quenching in pre heated rapeseed oil

first tempering cycle at 200c

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
You really know how to put a bevel on a blade.everything you do looks so clean n crisp. I will purchase one of your blades one day when the kids aren't bleeding me dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very nice, as said, you do pull off crisp grinds :cool:

If it isn't revealing your trade secrets, any chance of some pictures of the jigs and fixtures you mentioned? I am also curious whether your kiln/forge is sized just right so that you can hold temperature simply by adjusting the pressure and leaving it alone, or does it require constant attention and adjustment?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Very nice, as said, you do pull off crisp grinds :cool:

If it isn't revealing your trade secrets, any chance of some pictures of the jigs and fixtures you mentioned? I am also curious whether your kiln/forge is sized just right so that you can hold temperature simply by adjusting the pressure and leaving it alone, or does it require constant attention and adjustment?

i have to keep an eye on it, occasional little tweeks to the air intake keeps it within +- 1 degree. its quite a large and enclosed forge which helps it hold its temperature which is pretty much consistent along the full length of the bottom half. the jigs i speak of are for the gimble to hold the blade in the forge and also to clamp the blade in the jig i use to grind the bevel

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Oh my, be still my addiction for sharp shiny things that is sweet.
Is it going to be a complete set with matching small knife and sharpener?

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Are the handles different lengths or is it just the angle the photo is taken on?
What sort of sheaths are you going to do with those?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Are the handles different lengths or is it just the angle the photo is taken on?
What sort of sheaths are you going to do with those?

handles are the same length though the thicker 5mm has a slightly deeper belly to it to help control the extra heft. both handles are quite thin using 1/4" wide scales
the smaller is in 4mm with a 9" blade the larger in 5mm has a 10" blade. i didnt really want to go any bigger with the chosen steel o1, if i had would have picked a lower carbon steel.
as for sheaths? im not sure? have put them on the 'back burner' while finishing a few other knives

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE