Winter tyre help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys, now i have my nice, shiney Disco, am thinking of taking it to Sweden early nest year.
Now i know winter tyres are mandatory during the winter in Sweden, but do M+S tyres count as winter tyres? Specifically the Pirelli Scorpion str. I'm sure i read somewhere that M+S tyres were ok but i wasn't sure if that was only those with the snow flake mark on them (which mine don't).
I don't mind buying proper winter tyres but don't see the need if mine are acceptable.
Cheers

Baggins

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unless the system is different over there the M + S designations are speed ratings; nothing to do with Summer/Winter.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
M+S refers to mud and snow over here.

Edit to say I think M+S doesn't necessarily mean they're winter tyres. To be proper winter tyres they need specific compounds and yours are all year tyres so wouldn't. I think you'd be ok though - see below...

Safety and Security - Local Travel - Road Travel

If you are travelling by car you should note that driving conditions during the winter months of November to March can be extremely treacherous due to snow and ice.

From 1 December - 31 March (irrespective of weather conditions) Swedish registered cars are required by law to have either studded tyres or un-studded friction tyres bearing the following mark, M+S, M-s, M.S, M&S, MS or Mud and Snow.

Although foreign registered cars are exempt from this requirement, it would still be advisable to have winter tyres fitted.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/sweden

Last edited:

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8388582/Getting-to-grips-with-winter-tyres.html

"The "Mud+Snow" label is arguably the most confusing. Because of inadequate standardisation it’s found on many all-season-tyres, on off-road and all-terrain versions. It simply means – using the definition endorsed by organisations such as TyreSafe – "tyres whose tread and structure are designed to give better handling than normal tyres in slush and fresh or melting snow". That’s not to decry their mud-plugging abilities, but since the M+S marking includes no stipulation for a softer, winter-specific composition these tyres may simply have a standard summer compound and therefore cannot be classified, or sold, as true winter tyres. So although they may look the part, on ice their design has no effect as the rigid rubber tread blocks become ever-harder, losing vital grip.
The flexible, high-silica compounds of "Cold Weather" (or "Winter") tyres - allied to tread sipes that create a multitude of grippy edges - cope infinitely better with low-temperature conditions. Control and response levels leave summer tyres standing – or just spinning. Look out for the mountain-and-snowflake symbol on the sidewall. It denotes high performance when the going gets tough.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Thats great, thanks folks. thats what i figured, i need to look for some with the snow flake symbol on them to be safe side.
I drove a bmw (rear wheel drive) in sweden a couple of years ago with proper winter tyres fitted. Trying to do J-Turns in the hotel carpark was really hard :p, they really do stick to the road.
Cheers
Baggins

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Where about in Sweden are you going?

Be careful because there are "winter tyres" and "winter tyres". As an example, I've heard that the winter tyres used in Germany don't work that well here in Finland (this from some guys who have imported cars from Germany>Finland). The compound for Nordic conditions needs to cope with very low temperatures, not just "snow and slush" at "around zero" celsius.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Baggins, as you didn't reply, I try to ask again, where are you going in Sweden?

Don't put any trust whatsover in the snowflake symbol. It's relatively meaningless up here.

The winter tyres that anyone from the UK might recommend for you are not necessarily the right choice for Nordic winters.

Keep sensible and keep safe :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Try this if you don't believe:

When choosing tyres, the consumer must ensure that he/she is buying tyres that suit their driving conditions. This is especially true for non-studded winter tyres. If you mostly drive in changing weather, icy roads or slippery, packed snow, choose studded tyres or Nordic non-studded tyres. Non-studded tyres designed for Central European conditions do not match the requirements of the northern winter.

Source: http://www.nokiantyres.com/nordic-conditions

We have enough local idiots haring around on sub-standard winter tyres, without some ill-informed foreigner adding to the pile-ups....

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Hi Susi,
Sorry, thanks for all your information. i was planning to drive to Are, i've been there before and really love it, however, i now have to be back at work earlier than planned so heading to Scotland instead.
But i take all your tips onboard. it is the reason i asked, as i wouldn't want to put myself or others at risk by driving on tyres that are not fit for purpose. And i will be heading over to sweden latter in the winter i hope. Finland is also on my list.
Many thanks and Hyvää joulua ja onnellista uutta vuotta.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
A shame you had to cancel your trip :( But hope you see some wild action in Bonnie Scotland! :) If you need need any tyre advice for your next Nordic trip, welcome to drop me a PM. Hyvää Joulua sullekin!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE