Winter one nighter last week!

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hi Guys, just thought id share a one nighter i did last week with a bushy buddy. The aim was to time the weather right and get a winter camp set up for the snow that was MEANT to hit the Derby that night and wake up in a winter wonderland! Alas the weather had other plans, BUT it did get nice and cold for us and that was the main main thing as i wanted to try a few new things!

This was the camp once set up! I decided to take an old canvas bivvi tent and use it as a tarp as the plan was to build a long log fire and circulate the heat wile having the piece of mind that if a spark landed on the tarp it wouldn't be a big issue.

207673_10151375394471005_1839587035_n.jpg

We built the long log fire in advance and got 3 times the timber we needed to keep it going all night. After that i started a small additional fire to cook some snap on leaving us with an hour and half to chill out before nightfall.

429012_10151375391561005_600884576_n.jpg

Gammon baguettes with a nice cuppa tea.. :)

321026_10151375397836005_1740230805_n.jpg

As i said it was the first time building a long log fire and i was quite aware of how tricky they can be if not built correctly. We started by putting four stakes of greenwood in the ground to stop any longer logs rolling off the fire and to make it easier to add more but still keep the ventilation!

Then it was a case of building it up with the rite mix of timber.

We started it up as soon as the woods dropped dark and lit it in three placers using birch nests and a fire steel.

This was the make or break moment.. If it didnt work correctly it was going to be a very cold night.

The fire gained its strength and burnt evenly at a very consistent rate and i actually spent a wile trying to back away from it as it was kicking out so much heat!

After some more food and lots of brews we both hit the sack at 9pm, stocking the fire one last time for the night!

486162_3553010082862_713479852_n.jpg

Now this is the bit im really pleased with... Not only did i sleep like a baby fro 9pm to 8am!!! I was toasty all night and didnt feel the cold once. (It got down to -3)

The LONG LOG FIRE had done it job!!! :D and amazingly it still had embers burning in the morning. So with a quick blow and a few smallers bits it was up and going again for breakfast. :)

I couldn't ask for any more! :) (Apart from some snow)

46107_3553041003635_215167522_n.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks good Matt, loving the canvas and roaring fire! Are you camping where I think you are? Hard to tell from the pics...

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Cheers Martin! :)

Chad I'm loving it too. Iv now cut the flaps off to reduce the weight and its amazing how much liter it is.. not bad for 15 quid and its great with this weather. I'm actually in a new wood. It's one local to me that is surrounded my farming fields and the wood its self offers everything. I'm in the process of finding the land owner and contacting them regarding some permission.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Looked like a fine night out.
I've never managed to get a fire to stay in all night so good work..
Cosy looking setup too with lots of room.
Cheers , Simon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great night out that. Paul Kirtly has some great tips for a long log fire on his blog.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the next one now this week.. :)

I'll have to stick the tarp on the scales and see what it comes in at. I don't mind carrying a little extra weight anyway.

Man of tanith, that's a great idea!! I think I might give that a go!!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Very grand :thumbup: I pack layers of dirt in my long log fires, helps it to burn alot longer with less fuel. .
Love the set up you've used :cool:
Gud 'elth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE