Winter Mountain Leader Award now the same as a university degree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Btec is not worth the same amount of points as a Diploma, different levels, the Dip is worth more. My son has a Btec in I.T. I think its worth about 120 maybe 150 'points' Dip are around 220 or about two thirds of a Degree. The Btec was enough to get on a Degree in Networking though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now I am confused!
My Btec is a - in full - "Business and Technical Education Council National Diploma".
So is it a dip or what?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have two choices
Going out on the hills led by someone with a MLTB Winter Mountain Leader Award
or a art history degree which they earned in the students union bar

umm

which one

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
When I was a medical student I had a friend doing a BA in the history of art. He had 3 hours of timetabled lectures per week. At the time my working day started with the surgical ward round at 0730 and finished some 14 hours later. I did more work in a day than he did in a month.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I've just completed an OU qualification but I'd be interested to find out what the academic equivalent of my RYA commercially endorsed yachtmaster and cruising instructor qualifications is.
Do I get to put letters after my name?

Cheers

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On the btec route there are different grades of pass

DDD
DDM
MMM
MMP
MPP
PPP

PPP is Pass Pass Pass worth 120 points more as you go up the ladder, with that, I'm off to join the wife and grandson for a new years drink

Have a great 2009 all

Richard

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
After reading the original post and the newspaper articles, it's 'only' an SQA recognition. SQCF levels are a bit misleading and not valued by many industries. That's not to de-value the ML quals. indeed I have one.

Bear in mind you are not assessed with, leading a client group, on the course. On SCA/BCU River assessments you actually have a group you manage on the water.

The UIAGM/BMG Mountain Guide is a more robust assessment of leadership and risk management. Also much harder training and experience is required.

Nick

Now I am confused!
My Btec is a - in full - "Business and Technical Education Council National Diploma".
So is it a dip or what?

BTEC is just the awarding body you can do differnt level courses (same as you canoe stuff )
(this was how they where when i did them in incresing order of dificulty )
ONa Ordinary National Award 1 yr to top up in specific area if you didnt have enough or the right GCE/GCSE scores to go on the OND etc
so ONC Ordinary National Certificate was a part time course over 2 years
OND Ordinary National Diploma was the 2yr full time course
HND Higher National Certificate was the part time higher course 2 yrs
HND Higher National Diploma was the Full time higher course 2 yrs

and your points thing was how high you graded as differnt courses and unis want differnt levels for min entry to a degree course
mine wasnt a high enough pass to got to Plymouth Uni but was enough for portsmouth Poly for the similer degree

in the real world no body bothers to much about hte exact score you got just you passed etc

HND was where you usually went if you didt score high enough for a degree course and some times you could jump to the degree if you did well enough in your first HND year etc

sounds like your is the Dip ie the diploma level OND as ive put above

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I've just completed an OU qualification but I'd be interested to find out what the academic equivalent of my RYA commercially endorsed yachtmaster and cruising instructor qualifications is.
Do I get to put letters after my name?

Cheers

I think you need the any tonnage, any waters cert. Yep, according to Wiki, a Master Mariner can put MM after their name.

The NVQ system does make some sense, for things like this. As part of an NVQ(BTEC works the same I think), you have to demonstrate skills, as well as knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE