winter lavuu question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi guys,

Don't want to be bringing up past information too much, but I've done a quick search and not found what I'm looking for. I apologise in advance if this has already been asked, if so can you please point me in the direction of the info not just to that mammoth 16 page thread we all wrote on a few years ago. Basically my question is.

Now it's getting into winter I prefer to trade my hammock for something a little more bulky. I have bought one of those 2 man polish lavuu but have rarely used it. What modifications have you guys done/would you suggest to make this winter friendly. First thought was. Put a waterproof groundssheet down then throw some of those fake Ikea furs down or some cheap throws or something and then just my sleeping kit ontop of that. Then also maybe a couple of tee light candle lanterns. But dont know how safe that would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
The polish lavuus are ok but they are in my opinion colder than a hammock!. In fact the hammock with underblanket combination is wamer than my bison lavuu (unless I have the stove burning!!)
Get yourself a snugpak underblanket a warm sleeping bag and stay with the hammock....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
these Polish tipis are very thick, and I've found it warms nicely with only a UCO candle lantern in it. Get more space by supporting it on a tripod (Wilkinson's extendable clothes-line props do nicely) and doing away with the central pole.. Main thing is thermal insulation from the ground - well-insulated sleeping mat is essential (not an inflatable lilo!).

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I don't really want to splash out on an underblanket. money is tight at the minute just bought a new car and saving for a snowboarding holidayIn Feb. so the lavuu would work with perhaps a waterproof ground sheet. then some fake Ikea fur rugs/ throws then sleeping Matt and a good sleeping bag? and then a couple candle lantern to warm it. I Have a stove I made for work but don't know how to "stove proof" this tent and also wonder if it's a bit small for a full wood stove

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
A word of warning about the Polish lavvus. If you are taller than 5ft 9ins then you'll struggle to stretch out in it without rubbing against the sides. Some sellers (not on here) claim the floor diameter is 2.4metres. Actual size is 1.8m.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I brought one from a guy in Poland, who was saying that they came in different sizes! I have no idea if that is the case or not, though....

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I brought one from a guy in Poland, who was saying that they came in different sizes! I have no idea if that is the case or not, though....

Could be I guess but I have seen some advertised on the Bay quoting the height of my 1.8m diameter one correctly but saying the diameter is 2.4m which my rudimentary maths tells me can't be right.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i never struggled in mine i am 5' 11 but i tend to sleep semi fetal. i never bothered with a ground sheet i just had a small one under my crash mat. You can also look at making a wee wood stove (there is definitely a thread on that think it was an ammo box woodstove). They are warm and if my son never jumped on mine ripping one side apart id still be using it. I dont mind the centre pole but i reckon you could even hang it from a tree and stake it out if you cant be mithered making a tripod for it. I managed to sleep in it with my son and we had enough room.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE