Winter Cook Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was wondering what small stoves are out there that are good for the winter?

I am talking about something small and compact, obvious choice being meths or wood. Which is why I like the Honey Stove, however if it is pretty cold outside you don't want to be fiddling about with bit's of metal and freezing your hands at the same time. So is there something similar to the Honey Stove that can have either a meths burner or wood as the main source?

I like the idea of the bushbuddy but I can't seem to find it here in the UK.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The bushbuddy or Fourdog's LT series are very good, use meths or wood with wood as the main fuel.

There are a few places that sell the bushbuddy over here but I cant remember the sites, someone will chime in soon mate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Genuine Trangia, model 27 for two people model 25 for three folk. Storm cooking system, fantastic windshield, comes with two saucepans and optional kettle and contrary to urban myth fold up compactly plus the simmer ring gives you a burn time of almost an hour on one fill. You also have the option of fitting a pressure stove burner which makes it just about the ultimate winter stove setup.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if its just for brewing up id say the swiss volcano stove for the wood option if your going down the meths route i would suggest the trangias as above, however the other option is the "swiss army trangia" replace the burner with a civi burner and you can still just make a fire within the windshield or if you do have a proper fire the pans have a bail arm for billy can and D rings for a stick for the wee frying pan with the civi burner you have the best of both worlds.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have the Clas Ohlson near copy of the Trangia stoves mentioned below. (Actually a copy of the Optimus Storm Cooker) it works really well and is less expensive than genuine Trangia. Great for winter as the stove is raised off the ground and the comprehensive windscreen is very effective with the shaped pans. I also have a SVEA 123R which is a great winter stove, burns for hours and can be used for melting snow, then goes low to cook your sausages (or simmer soups). It is a white gas/Naptha stove. They tend to be a bit pricey though. Used to be regarded as THE standard expedition stove. Weighs just over 1 lb, which is pretty good for a naptha stove.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I agree with Rik. Trangias do what they are designed to do ie work in any weather. By the time you've buggered about putting a Honey together especially in the freezing cold, I'll have had a brew made on the 27.

Thanks for the ideas, I currently have the Swedish Army Trangia and replaced the burner with the civi one which seemed to work alot better. But at times I feel that it is a bit bulky, hence why I like the Honey stove for packing down flat.

Shewie - I cant see the page, I need to be logged in to the forum.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use an older Esbit pot stove for brews all year round it comes on nearly every long bimble and definitely on every over night trip,

308732_10150364442764073_539479072_9903256_2209814_n.jpg

and last winter,
165070_10150120733294073_539479072_7549901_7628475_n.jpg

it takes one and a half esbit blocks(those tiny ones) to boil a mug full of water with out a wind shield which i really need to make, it all stores inside itself including the fuel in a zip lock bag,the whole affair is made of Aluminium, the burner will fit inside a crusader curp and with a lid works for cooking for one,

the new ones look pretty cool too may have to treat my self:) if this one ever bites the dust.

1726480.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... is there something similar to the Honey Stove that can have either a meths burner or wood as the main source?

The Aldi drainer or similar does that fine. A used tin can with some holes in it will too. The Emberlit stove is good, and it's compact, but it needs to be assembled. Bushbuddy and Bushcooker seem expensive although I'm told that they burn with very little smoke which has to be good. I don't know how easy it is to fit a meths burner.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I use a hobo stove, my billy sits on top so i can put a few tent pegs through the hobo just below the billy and can put a meths burner or tealight candle casing for hexamine on the pegs or burn wood. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE