winter camping with wool blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
just wondering if anyone has camped during the colder weather with just a wool blanket or two, iv camped the rest of the year with a foam roll bivi bag and a dutch wool blanket and iv been fine but come winter i take my 3 season sleeping bag.
have you done it and ifso what setup do you use and how warm are you
thanks ash

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I just bought two dutch blankets and made myself a canvas bedroll. Temp is low right now and maybe I'll try this weekend... wish me luck

udamiano

On a new journey
I've done it quite a few times, I would however definitely recommend a full-length fire and some good insulation under you ( i made a simple bush bed by laying to logs either side of a tree trunk, onto which another to fairly think pieces horizontally and then another two to make the sides.
Using whatever you can find to make cross braces (I've cheater a few times and used a spare tarp), to make you bed. leave room under the bed to allow the warm air from your fire to circulate.) I used one heavy blanket below and two above me. and with the fire was quite warm... BUT that was with the fire.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I made myself a 2-blanketbedroll last week (see post on this forum) and I'll be out tonight. Forecast temps are -4...
I'll keep you posted!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
cheers lads cant wait to here how you get on ron, i saw your bedroll looks good mate, i made one at the begining of the year which i used but it only has 1 blanket and a canvas bivi its quite large when folded so didnt fancy adding another blanket but might have to upto now tho its been ok.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I tried it a few times... you need a fire for sure. They stop you from utterly freezing but retain little warmth. For me they are most effective in spring/autumn when the air is damp but the temperature is higher.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I'd stick to a good winter sleeping bag. Yes you can use blankets, yes you need a long fire burning all night but apart from the fact you are going to be burning shed loads of wood of which we don't have masses in the UK, why put yourself at risk. You winter -2 or -3c degree night is great until for whatever reason it drops to -7 or -10 and then you are in deep trouble. Use your blanket(s) in milder months, great fun it would be but don't risk yourself in the winter. Only my opinion but I'll admit I do worry when I see threads like this :(

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks rik but dont worry about me mate i never take any trips littely and i always have a back up if im unsure on conditions, i must be one of the most prepared people out there, unlike some iv camped out with who make school boy errors even in the warmer months. i no were your coming from though i see the odd thing that makes me wonder.
cheers ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE