Wiltshire Downs

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Can anyone give me some advice on the Wiltshire Downs please?
The Ridgeway near Wroughton springs to mind - I used to take my mountain bike along it now and again.
Any OS grid references I could take a look at, starting points, car parks, wooded areas etc.
Many thanks,

Ian

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
The Wroughton stretch is a bit too popular and not very interesting in terms of landscape, natural history, archaeology or woodland compared to the stretch of Pewsey Downs from Knap Hill eastwards towards Martinsell Hill. Interesting, and very old, woods, medieval deserted village, iron age villages, flint tool manufacturing sites and fantastic flora.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
There’s West Woods, about 5 Km South West of Marlborough and Savernake Forest, East and South East of Marlborough.

Parking for West Woods is at SU 163 667 (the access track starts at its intersection with unclassified road at SU 166 667 [Clatford Bottom]).

There is a barbeque site and car park at Postern Hill in Savernake Forest (access at SU198 679 off the A 346 Primary Route). There is a barrier to the site and the last time I was there it was locked closed at 19:00 hrs whether or not cars where still parked (there is a hefty release fee). Savernake has a number of metalled roadways, which are open to public vehicular traffic, and have numerous small pull off points.

Hope that helps. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE