Willow dome trend begins!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Just finished our third commission for a willow dome within a school garden today, wow :eek: , word gets round fast, this one led to a dome reconstruction, pathwork and possible BIG path job. This started as a nice little change from the routine, helping out our local school, but the head spoke to others, word got round, and now they come thick and fast, so much that we can no longer do them in work time, great :D .

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/marktheminx/Heskinschool002.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/marktheminx/a10bb6a3.jpg

Anyone else got into this, or attempted before? Would appreciate your comments, experiences :)

Mark

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Rangerman180 said:
Just finished our third commission for a willow dome within a school garden today, wow :eek: , word gets round fast, this one led to a dome reconstruction, pathwork and possible BIG path job. This started as a nice little change from the routine, helping out our local school, but the head spoke to others, word got round, and now they come thick and fast, so much that we can no longer do them in work time, great :D .

Anyone else got into this, or attempted before? Would appreciate your comments, experiences :)

Mark

Yeah - teacher friend of mine down in Brighton built one in his school - the kids love it

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Yep,
down here I've seen a few - good ones always have someone in the school who cares for the structure. They always look great first off but when the second years growth comes, they start to look a bit stragly and some stems die. If you prune them , weave branches in and replace dead stems then you have a winner. Good bit of mulch helps too.
I've been to a school in Cornwall that had to keep the kids away from their willow maze in the summer because the viminalis they used had so many aphids. Their sugary secretions attracted loads of wasps - stung kids - fear of anaphalaxis --- dug it up. Still worth doing just for the buzz of making it - just needs aftercare not to just be flavour of the month.
bigger pics would be good
Flux

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Wayne had started building a hazel dome bender at his meet the other week which we helped finish off.

They certainly lok good when finished.

BTW....Got any bigger pictures :lmao:

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Aye sorry about the pics guys, im'e not that much of a techy :lmao:

Took my bloody ages to fangle that bit out as well :eek:

Mark

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's a bit hard for me to tell what this is fom the pictures as they're quite small but I'm guessing the willow being so easy to root starts growing again and forms a living shelter.

What sort of area do you use for it? Any other considerations needed?

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Cheers guys,
If anyone would like more info, it's probably better to PM me and I can get some stuff together.

Mark.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Have made a few benders; and only ever with willow. Havent tried thatching/covering it with anything natural before, only with tarps and canvas.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
made one a about 9 years ago it could sleep 8 of us at some point someone covered it in plastic :confused: the plastic has rotted and the structure is still alive and well.
now one has just popped up in my childrens school (near brecon) so it seems they really are getting popular

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I've just bought 2 bundles of 7ft willow with the aim of making some small ( 6-12 inch) raised beds with them in my garden. Im a bit stuck for methods to preserve them as im worried bare earth against them will rot them away rather quickly, I've considered coating with linseed oil,beeswax or getting some sort of membrane between the earth and the wilow, any other ideas?

Boooshpig

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
You could try some hazel screens on the inside, hazel last for quite some time, it's readily available, and it's interesting excersise weaving them into panels. This would give the willow some time to establish itself. They used it extensively in the Iron age :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Rangerman180 said:

Mark

Mate, after I had a look at your pictures I am sure I will need to check my eyes!
Are they sooooo small that I dont see a thing or do I need glasses? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

cheers
Abbe

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Alright...........alright............ive already taken the flack for my pics :rolleyes:

Im'e no techy :puppy_dog

so dont mock :nono:

Mark :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE