Wildlife and Outdoor type magazines???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
could you please point me into the direction of some wildlife and outdoor magazines? Lots of people write to me and tell me that they like my pictures and I got the idea to contact some wildlife and outdoor magazines to check out if they would be interested if I shoot some pictures for them. The trapping and hunting for food doesn't work out so well and I thought it would be nice to get some money into the hand and food into the stomach. ;-))

thanks for any link or tip
cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
As a bit of a snappy man myself (film though, not digital) I'd say what you need to do is build up a portfolio of good pictures, that you can show interested people. That way they can get to know your work. Also, getting it up in a local cafe or a local gallery is a great start, and looks good on your photography CV if you know what I mean. Also, don't give up, approach many different companies. Even your local paper is a great achievement! Good luck :biggthump

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
There are two ways of doing that, one is to approach magazines directly, for that I'd reccomend you get a copy of the writers and artists yearbook, the other is to send your photo's to a picture agency. They'll take a cut but if the pictures are good they'll get used time and time again so you'll have an ongoing income.

Don't limit yourself to 'outdoors & wildlife' magazines. Some that pay the best prices are things like womens magazines, including the cheaper ones and 'in house' publications for large companies.

It could well be worth joining something like the beurau of freelance photographers or your local equivalent as they will be able to give you help and advice on all the legal side of it, copyright, what rights you're selling and so on which is important.

If the magazine says it accepts slides don't send colour prints, find the name of the right person, probably the picture editor. and keep a copy of anything that prints one of your pictures, even if they don't pay you. For some reason editors are more willing to use someone that another editor has thought worth useing.

Hope this advice helps.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi to all!
thank you very much for all the info and advice.
I mailed already an e-mail to 3 magazines and got one answer back saying that they contact me if they write something about swedish lapland.
Maybe they where only nice with me but still handing out the pink slip anyhow who knows maybe something comes out of it. Its like with my traps, maybe tomorrow I catch something. :)

cheers to all
Abbe

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
There are lots of huntin magazines and also some other smaller magazines in sweden that might be interested in your pictures.

Check also for friluftsfrämjaändates and STF member magazines

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE