Wildcat Island!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I spent a few days camping on the edge of Grizedale Forest, and canoeing up and down Coniston everyday.
It was a nice tranquil trip, with time to enjoy the glorious mountain weather.
These are some piccies on Wildcat Island, where Swallows and Amazons was filmed.
Time to kick back, and reflect as we had had this all to ourselves one peaceful sunny afternoon....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes. The duckling was as bold as brass. They were chasing lots of sedges/caddis fly's and greendrake mayfly which were hatching on the water, then flying off into the sessile oak forest.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Disruptive.
Yeh I immeadiately got him in the rucksack, and the pfd from a young age, hes only 14 months now, and is learning I need him to sit still in the canoe. He gets a little bit better each outing.
He did seem very content this time, just looking out at the scenery though. Im yet to take him on a river, but I will probably try that toward the end of the year.

I'd like to get to the stage with him, where I could go to Norway or somewhere and spend a week going down a river with him. :)

One thing that did help a lot was, I cut an old foam mat in half, and glued one of those old rubber bath mats to it, with tiny suckers on the bottom, which works great.
You just press it down, and presto it suction sticks inside the hull.

Im also really enjoying this new seat, an aguille seat, with a very grippy kneeling mat. Its got a curvy bit for your ar5e and its great to get your centre of gravity down in the wind, and you can sit where you want, rather than kneeling on the edge of your seat, or using the kneeling thwart. Really handy comfy bit of kit.

This is the underside of the foam mat, with the old anti-slip bath mat glued to it. [keeping my tinder dry] You can see all the tiny suckers.
Dogs much happier on it.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks like a really good trip, Dave.............Your boy is a little different to the young whipper-snapper that was biting everything in sight, eh? Looks like he's coming really well. :)

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
He's gorgeous Dave. Your doing a good job with him, he looks well settled.
Thanks for the tip i might persevere with him for a few more outings as yet. Hes only just turned 2.
You can see what i mean. NOT HAPPY.
P1050512_zps24450658.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
He's gorgeous Dave. Your doing a good job with him, he looks well settled.
Thanks for the tip i might persevere with him for a few more outings as yet. Hes only just turned 2.
You can see what i mean. NOT HAPPY

Great photo. Beautiful dog. Its uncanny how they can tell you exactly how they feel by a glance isnt it.
Thats the same expression mine used to wear, but just a few trips later, he was ok. Mine didnt like the slippy surface, and I wear him out a bit before I get him in the canoe.

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
Thanks Dave
As you say just a matter of getting him used to it a little at a time. He also tries to get out, and nearly has us both in.
Funny really as he loves water cant keep him out of it, you'd think he would enjoy it.
He comes on all my other trips, i hate leaving him at home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE