Wildcamping in brecon beacons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2010
Cardiff
hi im new here, just thought i'd drop by, say hello and let you know that im off camping this weekend to the brecon beacons. anyone know of any good places that are free to camp, where we can have a fire in the night and near a river?

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hi mate! Can't help you myself, but people will respond. This forum is full of cool talented people who've been generous with their time and knowledge in my experience anyway. Just pray that they respond before the weekend though! Have a great trip and post some pics in "Out and About". I'd love to see the Beacons.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I would stay well clear of the ranges, near Sennybridge, the land is used alot and you don't want alot people running through your camp shooting at you, there are a few places you can but you do have to watch it, and its best you get permission before hand there are a few farmers around that will let you camp on their land, I am away from my maps and notes for a few days so I cann't give you details. You don't want be thought of as a cattle/sheep rustler or someone from Hereford :)

You may soon see people running about with large bergens on their backs at all times day and night. Don't worry too much their just mad and trainning or on course:)

Jun 16, 2010
Cardiff
sounds great, thanks for the advice, im thinking of maybe hiking into the woods near ystradfeltre and staying near the waterfalls. Bought a camping stove so wont really make a mess. cant wait!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
You may soon see people running about with large bergens on their backs at all times day and night. Don't worry too much their just mad and trainning or on course:)
It's already started!

I was up by Crybin 2 weeks ago and a load of guys in DPM came lolloping past with burgens and M4s. Unfortunately it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and two of them went down with the heat/exhaustion on the path between Pen-Y-Fan and Corn Du. Queue the air ambulance and a suspiciously unmarked green chopper setting down next to the group. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's already started!

I was up by Crybin 2 weeks ago and a load of guys in DPM came lolloping past with burgens and M4s. Unfortunately it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and two of them went down with the heat/exhaustion on the path between Pen-Y-Fan and Corn Du. Queue the air ambulance and a suspiciously unmarked green chopper setting down next to the group. :)

Three helicopter evacs dropped off at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil when I was an inpatient last week and I had a great view of the helepad from my room.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I think that was as run up course :) people only preping for the main one, but people do do it around the year, When I did a little training I went for the winter option :)

I am not the full thing and never will be :) but I have worked with a few of the guys :) and HATS OFF to them :)

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
You can legally wild camp at the Blaen Llia car park [SN 925166] which is about 4 km north of Ystradfellte. there is a camp site next to the carpark just on the edge of the forrest with a clean river alongside..I do not think you are allowed to light camp fires but people have had fires..only 12 people per night should camp there, it is mainly used by groups walking the beacons way
Hope this helps
Regards
Stu

Jun 16, 2010
Cardiff
thanks i will check that out. I was going to park at storey arms car park then hike down to the waterfalls and camp there. Is there a pub in ystradfeltre? I might just park at blaen Llia now and then go hiking.

Jun 16, 2010
Cardiff
hey! what a weekend! amazing views, lovely weather! I actually camped away from the car park about 1km, it was next to the river. The tent was pitched on a slope though so sleeping was very uncomfortable! will get the pics on here when i get 5mins. thanks for the advice, will be going there again very soon! will remember to take some repellent next time the fricking migdes had a right go at me!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I guess the New Inn will reopen when all the tourists have gone away!

I used to stay in Ystradfellte many moons ago when potholing. I remember that the trick at the pub was to order your beer in your best Ivor-the-Engine accent. This magically made beer flow from taps that were declared dry to the rest of the visitors!

Z

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Cardiffcamper. well done for coming back and letting us know how you got on. (hope that didn't sound condescending:)) Just added to my geographical notes of places to stay.

Cheers

Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE