Wild Woodgas Stove Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Kinda half-thinking of getting one of these...

http://wildstoves.co.uk/wood-cooking-stoves/wood-gas-camping-stoves/wild-wood-gas-stove/

...and apparently, they've changed the pot supports. Also found the previous version on eBay for £35-40. Are the earlier supports limited in terms of how small a vessel can be placed on top? (10cm Zebra, say.)

And, will the stove fit into a 14cm Zebra when packed down?

The original support is easier to use but has much less stability then the new design. I purchases the original support from Chinese clone seller bit ended up back with new design.

Yes it will fit in 14cm billy. The stove is 13cm in width and fits snug into Mar stowaway 750.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

N

Nomad

Thanks, folks.

Read the threads. Some useful info on getting around issues. The trivet idea is interesting - looks more solid than the wire version. And I'm glad it fits into a 14cm Zebra. I'll think on it for a little while and muse on trivet ideas (ie, mooch around the scrap bin at work to see if there's any stainless sheet).

Does the wire support feel bouncy at all, or is it all quite rigid? And, if anyone has used it with the Tatonka meths burner, how is it for height compared to the Trangia (which seems to be considered a tad low)?

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I find with meths burners such as the tatonka, trangia,etc, if you turn the fire bowl upside down it gives you a more optimum burning position.

N

Nomad

Mine does but I understand that its been improved since.

It just seems to be more fancy than is really needed. I'm starting to think that the earlier triangular type, with a trivet for small pots, is maybe the better option. Do the triangular ones disappear down into the stove when they're not in the opened out position, rather than sit level like a 3-leg trivet? (If they drop down, maybe a different shape can be worked out...)

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I opened mine the other day and found one of the pot supports had snapped, I am currently seeing if they are willing to replace it. Otherwise I really like mine, it's a pretty good piece of kit.

N

Nomad

I opened mine the other day and found one of the pot supports had snapped, I am currently seeing if they are willing to replace it. Otherwise I really like mine, it's a pretty good piece of kit.

Which type have you got, and where did it break?

Was in Cotswold's yesterday for something else, and noticed they had the Wild stove on display with the wire type pot support. I have to say that I was not impressed. Too fussy and prone to disconnect at the two looser hook bits - don't fancy trying to sort that out when it's got a good burn going. Methinks I shall go mooch around Ali Express for the earlier type...

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
yes it fits in a 14cm zebra billy, it also fits in a 1.8 ltr mors pot and a 1.3ltr evernew ti pot :)

The best fit is the 1.8ltr mors pot, that fits amazing and there is enough room at the top of the pot for a brew kit and a couple of folding cups

Last edited:

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
As a conclusion to my last post, I emailed wild and they had a replacement stove top with me in a matter of days. A fantastic service, a pretty good argument for going with the original. The new stove top feels more robust than the last one too.

N

Nomad

As a conclusion to my last post, I emailed wild and they had a replacement stove top with me in a matter of days. A fantastic service, a pretty good argument for going with the original. The new stove top feels more robust than the last one too.

Am I right in thinking that the original broke at a rivet? When I looked at the new type in Cotswold, the two hook bits just relied on gravity to stay in place - there was no 'clip' or spring type of action to keep them hooked over the fold-out leg parts (the third looks to be permanently looped around its leg to stop the trivet bit from getting lost). While it looked like it would happily support a pot sitting on top of it, I felt that it was too easy for the two non-clip hooks to get nudged and dislodged, say when feeding the fire when the pot isn't there. Once knocked off the legs, it would be a bit of a hassle trying to sort things out if the fire is already on the go. I gather they reworked the new type, so maybe it's better now and the one in Cotswold is an earlier version?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the new version with the wire pot support, when I got it the support when in place was almost spring loaded ready to pop off at the first glance, after the first firing the springiness was gone, I did however close up the 2 open hooked ends of the wires a little to help keep them in place better if knocked with twigs when loading it up, still a great bit of kit though

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love mine and use it regular. Mine has the original pot stand and has been fine, saying that I did do the same mod as Mountainm and fit the Evernew trivets. It makes it really stable and will fit any size pot you wish but it does limit the size of fuel you can feed.
Mine is stored inside a zebra 14cm with brew kit packed inside the stove and a small Trangia kettle on top with a couple of packets of cous cous in it. Folding Ti spoon and lighter also go in the billy. I then pack round the kettle with a small scouring pad and sponge to stop it all from rattling.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I love mine and use it regular. Mine has the original pot stand and has been fine, saying that I did do the same mod as Mountainm and fit the Evernew trivets. It makes it really stable and will fit any size pot you wish but it does limit the size of fuel you can feed.
Mine is stored inside a zebra 14cm with brew kit packed inside the stove and a small Trangia kettle on top with a couple of packets of cous cous in it. Folding Ti spoon and lighter also go in the billy. I then pack round the kettle with a small scouring pad and sponge to stop it all from rattling.

Do you have a link to a thread with this evernew trivet mod ? I have the original stove and I also have the evernew trivets so am in interested in seeing what this is. ta:)

EDIT, Dohh found it its on here:eek:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have the newer version and I also had a clone with the old pot support.
The newer pot support is much better IMO. It will support just about any weight you put on it and just about any size.
To the the Trangia burner, simply place the Trangia lid in the pot upside down ( not the simmering lid) and stand the burner on this. This gives the perfect height for the burner.
A cut down "Azera" coffee tin does the job for the evernew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Am I right in thinking that the original broke at a rivet? When I looked at the new type in Cotswold, the two hook bits just relied on gravity to stay in place - there was no 'clip' or spring type of action to keep them hooked over the fold-out leg parts (the third looks to be permanently looped around its leg to stop the trivet bit from getting lost). While it looked like it would happily support a pot sitting on top of it, I felt that it was too easy for the two non-clip hooks to get nudged and dislodged, say when feeding the fire when the pot isn't there. Once knocked off the legs, it would be a bit of a hassle trying to sort things out if the fire is already on the go. I gather they reworked the new type, so maybe it's better now and the one in Cotswold is an earlier version?

I'm afraid not, one of the folded pieces holding the pot stands snapped. They are really good stoves, used mine today with the replacement and its fine. Still thinking of getting a trivet too though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE