Wild Snow Camp up Ben Starav

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Did a wee camp out last night, high up on Ben Starav. I failed in my 4th attempt to bag Ben Nan Aighean, four times coming in over Starav. It's a Munro between Glen Etive and Glen Orchy. I have done all the other Munros around here and south of Kinlochleven/Fort William, so it should have been my 147th.

Last night - after stopping at my cut off time, my lighter would not light for ten minutes of trying, my gas then started to trickle and splutter (butane/propane mix) at dark so only had 330ml of water for today, made form snow. Not enough for 6-8hrs walking. I always normally take a fire and steel as this works when wet, the usual problem with lighters. But cut down on weight - doh. When I got home the lighter worked fine first time ! Must have been the cold.

This morning - as I had a whole day out and back 4-5hrs today at least, with a big pack and full winter conditions, I decided to just descend. This morning when I lifted my pack some of the strap ripped - a 1989 Karrimor Alpiniste 65 - easily repaired. I descended back to the car and then defrosted the tent. Although warm at sunrise today -about 6.45am - and my black clothes warming quickly, the tent - a full winter tent with snow valances - was icy first thing and I struggled to get the snow I had laid on the valances off. The valances had actually stuck to the ground where I had packed the snow flat :cool:.

Great tent, Quechua Bionnasay T2+, about 11 years old. The bungee holding the porch pole together snapped last night, after a few minutes fidgeting I got numb finger tips so just rigged an alternative. Poked my head out of tent when I awoke, still in my cozy NANOK -10 sleeping bag, to an amazing inversion below me and the surrounding peaks. Fabtastic. No one else about and not a sound of wind all night.

So I will try to MTB/Walk in via Victoria Bridge, the eastern side next time........

View west towards the approaching sunset.

Ben Starav Winter Camp by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Last night's view east, before sunset.

Ben Starav Winter Camp by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Defrosting the tent

Icy Tent by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Planned route -

Length: 10.4 miles 16.7 km
Ascent: +1675m -1670m
Naismith: 6h 7m

Actual Route -

Length: 5.43 miles 8.74 km
Ascent: +859m -851m
Naismith: 3h 11m
Actual - 5hrs 35mins

Last edited by a moderator:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I was in the Gorms today, i'm glad it was nice in the west too although shame about not getting the hill done. Which Munro are you planning for your last?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Probably Mull Ben More, I know it's a bit typical, or maybe Mount Keen by MTB. Done all south of line from Ballachulish-Kinloch Leven - Linn of Dee, and have done some north of that line. Need to get back up hills more regularly. Used to go every week whatever the weather, till I did all the ones within 3hrs drive. I do them mainly in winter.

It was hot yesterday, so left an hour later than planned, after downing a bottle of water. Tinder dry below the snowline. I love camping high as you can watch the sun go down and soak up the views.

Braeriach and Angels peak were nice in winter. Will camp out to do the Glen Feshie ones.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Grand, I had a couple of Nemesis hills in Knoydart. I only got Sgurr na Ciche and Gairich done on the third go. The joys of Scottish winter mountaineering!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Aye the joys. Should have put my boots in the tent last night as it took a while for my toes to thaw after putting the boots back on. My toes were burning hot driving back up Glen Etive wearing trainers.....

Elen Sentier

Great pix and story. Your tent looks really good too. I hope you make it up there next time. Looking fwd to more pix and hearing aout it. Lucky you with the inversion, I love it when that happens.

Am very envious as I love that part of the world but doubt I'll ever be fit enough for Munros :D. Standing in the glens below, those mountains always look so small to me - I know they're not! - and tempting, they seem to be saying "It'll only take you 10 minutes ... come on up!". No, I'm not falling for that one :lmao:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Inversion - got some good photos but left the camera on the roof of my car and drove off after taking a pic of Buchaille Etive Mhor.........:eek:

Snowboarding Glencoe centre tomorrow so will have a look for it.

Lost/broke two cameras before - one coming down Ben Fhada, it fell off the belt clip. Another got knackered taking pictures of blowing sand on a west coast beach. I never spend more than £50 on a camera.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE