Wild Potatoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Potatoes aren't native; if you find them then someone took them there.
That's the biggest clue; look for old gardens; sometimes you get lucky :)

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose the answer is, "maybe."

If---they are truly a wild species
If---your secret foraging area mimics their native habitat enough
If---others don't disturb them
If---native animals don't pilfer them
If---etc.

But they wouldn't be truly wild as you'd have planted them. And they wouldn't propogate as you'ld be interrupting the cycle when you harvest them.

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
A few hundred ! That is a tattie field try 4 or 5 and see what happens If the soils deep enough my guess is they will grow Watch out for Badgers though. I bet they love a tuber or two

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Don't go planting spuds in the UK willy-nilly, you need to be careful that you don't spread disease. Talk to your local garden centres.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the topic interests you though, there are other native tubers that are edible. Those are well worth finding out about :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, if you give me a few weeks, I'll see how the bulbs under the wild celandines have turned out :) Think peanut sized potatoes :D and if you're quick you can spot the pignuts in flower too, and keep and eye on where you found them because the seeds do grow into nuts in a pot in the garden :D

Loads more, those are just the two that I've been looking at today.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE